Symphysis pubis dysfunction

Has anyone had this before? And if so, were you able to have a vaginal birth?

I'm pretty sure I have it. The pain is so intense I'm considering going to the hospital. I'm not a big person on pain killers, I even hate taking tylenol but the pain is so bad I'm 2 seconds away from begging for something stronger since I've taken tylenol every 6 hours with NO relief for 3 days now. I can barely walk and everytime I move all I hear and feel is clicking and just terrible pain.

My biggest fear of it all is not being able to have a vaginal birth, so if anyone has any success stories to easy my worrying mind, I'd appreciate it.

Marix3

Asked by Marix3 at 12:49 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have the same problem. Doctor has me on lortabs for pain when needed., I feel ya on the walking or even moving... From what i've researched vaginal birth is possible.
    MrsCarlton

Answer by MrsCarlton at 12:52 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• jw...can you explain what it is?
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 12:57 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Your symphysis pubis are the two bones that connect to form your pelvis. Shaped like a heart, your pelvis is formed by three separate bones that are held together by very tough ligaments. Traditionally, these bones are not designed to allow movement to occur. When you are pregnant however, a hormone called relaxin is produced which allows the pelvis to move slightly during birth. The reason this occurs is because the hormone actually works to loosen the ligaments holding the bones together.

When the ligaments loosen too much, a condition called symphysis pubis dysfunction can occur. When this happens, the pelvis joints become unstable and move around. The growing child makes matters worse because of the intense weight bearing down on these bones, and can actually cause the join to separate. Mild to severe pain in the pubic area are characteristics of this disorder.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 1:01 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I read that exact same thing
    MrsCarlton

Answer by MrsCarlton at 1:08 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I just found out I have it. It hurts soo bad to walk and especially turn over in bed at night! I diagnosed myself with this, I have yet to talk to my doctor about it. I'll talk to them at my next appointment....I'm sure you can still have a vaginal birth, it said something on the internet that having a c section and epidural is worse. If you have a vaginal birth you're supposed to have the baby in an upright position...
    GinaPetty

Answer by GinaPetty at 8:58 AM on Aug. 12, 2009