how early is to early for disapline?

my ds is 11 months old and keeps turning the tv off and on over and over and its driving me nuts!! my mother-in law keeps telling me to smack his hands to let him know to stop my son has a good understanding of the word no so is tapping is hands called for or should i just keep moving him from in front of the tv? i need some outside view because me and my mother in law dont click very well lol

nikalotta20

Asked by nikalotta20 at 1:01 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't imagine that it would help anything. I would continue with distraction and re-direction.
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 1:10 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• i wouldnt.
    unless you are prepared to hit hard enough to actually hurt him (which im hoping you arnt) he will just think its a game. i have a 12 month old who likes to do the same thing, i found the best thing is to move him away constantly, otherwise he laughs and continues to do it.
    i find if i move him away-i sit him on his bottom, works best.

my MIL did tap his hand, and he smacked her back... no she isnt popular with me right now.
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 1:11 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• put him in a time out area w no toys and no distractions if u just distract him he wont learn not to do it just to do it later
    aidensmama8

Answer by aidensmama8 at 1:12 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• too young to hit...just get on the floor and get his attention on something else.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:16 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• No it's not too young. I have 6 kids and we started disiplining the the moment the realized what they were doing. He does need a slap to the hand. I mean nothing that will leave marks or anything but if you don't he won't just keep doing it and you wan't to stop that as soon as possible!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Discipline means to teach. I've been teaching Emi since she was born. Even if she couldn't understand, I still talked to her like she could. At 10 months, if I ask her not to touch something 9 times out of ten she wont. The other time I redirect her attention. Discipline should have NOTHING to do with physical violence.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 6:49 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• thanks girls thats the same thing i was thinking!!!
    nikalotta20

Answer by nikalotta20 at 10:12 PM on Aug. 13, 2009