Has anybody tried "Gripe Water" for their baby?

If so, does it help for spitting up as well?

hrt_0928

Asked by hrt_0928 at 1:07 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Never heard of "Gripe Water" but my son had a lot of problems with spitting up so i changed his formula to Alimentum and we buy "Nursery Water" by the gallon and it seems to be helping out a lot. He is only 7 weeks old so i think he was too sensitive to tap water. You can find it at Wal-mart next to all the other bottled water
    LolaD

Answer by LolaD at 1:12 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I have used it. I started using it on my 5 month old daughter since she was about 6 weeks old. I don't give it to her often, just when she's really uncomfortable. I'm not one to give meds or anything like that. It does help my DD when she needs to burp, has the hiccups etc. I'm not sure about spit up though. Sorry
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 1:13 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• umm somewhat. my son was always fussy and he spit up ALOT. for me, it helped calm his tummy so i think ithelped some with spit up too. it helped better than the prevacid his doc tried to prescrib
    trelyn

Answer by trelyn at 1:13 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• i used it for all 6 of Our children,it's good for upset tummy and shoutinghiccups but not for spitting up.......

tealuv38

Answer by tealuv38 at 1:16 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• ive read gripe water has 4.4% of alcohol in it... and that it is not good for babies.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:29 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Quote: "ive read gripe water has 4.4% of alcohol in it... and that it is not good for babies."

Reply: What are you talking about?!!! You really need to get that straight before worrying a mother on here! Its specifically FOR babies and is recommended generations past and present! Im going to go get my bottle!.....
    Ok back, ingredients are as follows: Dill Seed oil,
    Sodium hydrogen carbonate
    And in addition, the active ingredients are as follws:
    Glycerol, Propylene Glycol, Maltilol liquid, Sodium ethyl parahydroxybenzoate, disodium edetate, and purified water!

So where exactly does it say about the alcohol content?! And if any of those are alcohol in some form, they are in the tiniest amounts, goodness me.
    Its a good option for upset tummies in any way, and it can be given frequently too.
    The comment by MomNbabyGirl009 proves you just need to be ......
    Texanairforce1

Answer by Texanairforce1 at 8:22 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• ....what and who you listen to hun. Hope your baby ad you are ok. x
    Texanairforce1

Answer by Texanairforce1 at 8:23 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• upset tummies and hiccups..it kinda helps with spitting up due to tummy problems. But not a WHOLE lot.If the spit up is really bad you should look into changing the formula.My baby switched from Similac Soy to Similac Sensitive and is doing much better. Also teething makes a baby spit up.She didn't spit up with the 1st 2 teeth..but the top ones are really bothering her :(
    GOOD LUCK
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 9:03 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Yeah, I never heard of gripe water with alcohol in it either. I use Baby Bliss which is all natural (tastes pretty good too). It helps calm down Courtney's belly aches and helps with her hiccups. But it doesn't help spitting up. That's normal for babies. If your baby is spitting up BAD, than you might need to change their formula (if bottle feeding). I don't know what to do if you are breastfeeding. Good luck!! And I would recommand gripe water...it really DOES help!
    CrystalJanie

Answer by CrystalJanie at 9:20 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• My husband and I use Gripe Water for our 6 week old son. We've tried 2 brands, Baby Bliss and Little Tummies. The Baby Bliss Apple Flavor seems to agree with our son the best. It does work wonders!
    bethstern83

Answer by bethstern83 at 11:56 AM on Aug. 12, 2009