• In the Spotlight:

Am I wrong?

I broke up with him but....I want him to know that if he wants to quit drinking, I will support him. I told him that I bought him something that may help but that it has to be something he wants to do in order for it to work.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Health

• no i dont think its wrong. if hes a drunk, then its prolly best you arent around him. sometimes people just need support. i hope he straightens up for you and him.
    trelyn

Answer by trelyn at 1:15 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I don't think you're wrong, but if you push it on him, he's going to rebel like a teenager. Trust me, I've been there. They're like puppets. The alcohol tells them how to react and what to say and you have to make a decision and stick with it. Let him know when he's sober, your door is open and until then, you need to cut your ties and stop trying to help because it's only hurting you and he doesn't even know the difference at that point. He might care, but it doesn't make a difference because he doesn't feel like he has a choice.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 1:16 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• My ex wasnt a drinker, but he was a pillhead. I gave him five long years, and a daughter. It wasnt until our daughter was born and several rehabs later, that I realized he was never gonna quite. I finally filed for divorce, and now im married to the greatest man I know! My daughter refers to him as her daddy, and barely even knows her real one( which by the way is in jail right now). Were hoping to have him adopt her soon, which my ex is basically begging for so child support wont be after him. Im not saying that people cant change because they totally can if they have the will power for it, and if they want to. Its just that there's a very small percentage that actually do, so guard ur heart carefully. My mom always told me that one day I was gonna wake up and realize he was a pos, and I did. Simply woke up one morning and it was like a switch had been flipped and I simply didnt care.
    Blink1to3

Answer by Blink1to3 at 1:22 AM on Aug. 12, 2009