Breastfeeding question

So I just had my baby 10 days ago. My milk came in within a few days after giving birth, but I never really experienced true engorgement to where I was in pain or anything. Is that weird? I believe my baby is getting enough milk though, even though she often falls asleep at the breast after like 10 minutes on one side. It's hard for me to wake her up to finish. But I basically feed her whenever she wants - anywhere from 1.5 to 3 hours between feedings.

LittleMonster22

Asked by LittleMonster22 at 1:19 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I nursed my son for 31 months and I don't think it is weird. You would get engorged if you weren't able to express the milk in some fashion.

beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 1:21 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• thats normal. your going to produce the right amount of milk that you baby needs. when your baby starts to want more than just 10 minutes, then you will start to fill up more. my kids nursed the same way and my breasts never hurt or became engorged. but when it got closer to nursing time, i could always feel a difference. i think what is goin on is normal, especailly for the way your baby is nursing.
    trelyn

Answer by trelyn at 1:23 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I agree, your body produces the amount of milk your baby needs. As they grow, they may need more or less depending on growth spurts, so you may be engorged after a growth spurt. The way your pediatrician will measure that the baby is getting enough milk, is through weight gain. Congrats!!
    babyjakesmama

Answer by babyjakesmama at 1:41 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Good for you! You're perfect.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:07 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Some women have engorgement issues when the milk first comes in, but not all do. Count diapers. If using disposables you should be getting 6-8 a day. I had engorgement with my first, but not with my second.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:22 AM on Aug. 12, 2009