How old should she be before I transition her to a toddler bed?

My daughter is 20 months old and I just had a son 7 weeks ago so I set up a toddler bed in her room so that when he gets a little older he can sleep in the crib and she will have her own liitle bed. I have tried to lay her down a few times and she gets right out. When I put her in the crib she will lay down and go right to sleep. My son is in a bassinet in my room for now but I'm sure he will outgrow that before long. What can I do to get my daughter to want to sleep in the toddler bed?

LolaD

Asked by LolaD at 1:25 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When she can walk and not be soo clumsy. If you're worried about her sliding out, just put pillows on the floor next to the bed.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 1:27 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Take the crib out of the room now and put her in the bed. Why should she stay in the bed when her crib is there? When you put the baby in the crib then she's going to feel like the baby STOLE her bed and you're likely to have jealousy trouble on top of everything else. (ever seen a toddler try to pull a baby out of a crib?)

As for age, it doesn't matter. It's when the parents want to do it. Ours went into regular beds at 15 months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:41 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Try using her favorite crib sheets or blanket or go buy her a new set that she likes and put them on the new big girl bed. Lay her in the bed and read a story or start a movie to go to sleep to.
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 11:08 AM on Aug. 12, 2009