Is it okay to let your baby cry themself to sleep?

My baby is almost 8 months old and I am just now letting her cry herself to sleep, but it is painful for me to wait it out. Am I doing the right thing? Is there an "appropriate age" to do this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My girls are 2 and I couldn't do that to them, even now. They will sometimes cry for about a minute until they stop but if they don't I'm right in there with them. They cry because they want me there and I am happy to be there whenever I'm able to be. They feel more comfortable with me there and it's easier for them to relax. When they were babies I would hold them if they were having a rough night but for the most part they fell asleep ok. It's your choice though a lot of people do that.
    jackiec7707

Answer by jackiec7707 at 2:20 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• IMHO no. I use the No cry to sleep method it works great. I had been using it for years before I found out it was a book and an actual method. LOL just goes to show you maternal instinct is great.
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 2:26 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I could never do it but I was on the verge of trying. I got lucky though and he just babbled himself to sleeping instead of crying.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• It's between you and the woman in your mirror. I know the one in mine would kick my butt six ways from Sunday.

They ALL learn to go to sleep on their own when THEY are ready to.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:37 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• i do to a certain extent...after her nightly routine i put her in her crib and sometimes she just lays there and looks around and falls asleep without a peep..and sometimes she will cry, i let it go for a couple mins because usually after that she falls right to sleep, but if goes longer then a few mins i go to her and comfort her, and then try it all over again. theres going ot be alot of people saying that its wrong to just let your child cry and that you should run in there to them as soon as you hear a whimper, but your the mom, you do what works for you and you baby..dont let people tell you whats right and wrong..use your instincts.
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 2:56 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I did. Never for more than 5-10 minutes without going in to calm him down and I only laid him down when he was already drowsy anyway. I did a modified cio with all 4 of my kids - and they're excellent sleepers, from my 9 month old all the way up to my 11 year old.
    Some people think it's "mean," but to me I'm teaching him that he has the ability to soothe himself, and I'm paving the way for years of restful sleeping. Kids get a much better rest, much more restorative sleep when they sleep through the night and get one nice long sleep instead of 2-3 little chunks.

Answer by missanc at 8:48 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• its ok to let them cry it out. they need to learn to soothe themselves and fall asleep on their own but do check on them via moniter every 5 or so mins.
    trl30

Answer by trl30 at 10:41 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I don't believe in CIO, i cant stand to listen to crying babies. The baby will learn to sleep on its own in time in my opinion there is no need to let them CIO
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 10:46 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• They ALL learn to go to sleep on their own when THEY are ready to.

SO TRUE MY DD IS 29 MTS AND I STILL PUT HER TO BED AND CUDDLE WITH HER TILL SHE FALLS ASLEEP.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:21 AM on Aug. 12, 2009