Teenage Daughters

I have a 12yr old and 15yr old and they are beyond moody to me. When they come home from visits with their dad and his GF, they are quite rude to me and very demanding. I have always been the constant in their lives due to their dads inconsistent visits with them over the years. The past year, their dad has tried to "win" them over with his GF who moved in with him. He seems to be trying to get them to choose who they enjoy spending more time with, me or his new GF. At this point, I'm not sure how to respond to their ever increasing negative attitude toward me and I need some advice on how to handle this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Mom there teenagers there gonna be moody for the next few years. Maybe you can have a sit down with them both and have a talk about things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• As bad as this is, this is not uncommon. For some reason when kids become teenagers they often go brain dead for a few years. It sounds like you need to have a chat with dad and the girlfriend. This is not a popularity contest it is about being parents. I would think you are more stern with the girls and this is one reason they act out towards you. However, you are the parent and make the calls. Talk with the girls and explain to them that if the attitude doesn't change then their privialges will. Take their cell phones, as this will almost kill most teens. Good luck !
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:56 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Sit down and ask them why there are treating you that way. They may just be acting out frustration with the one person they feel safe with. When teens feel frustrated its been my experiance that when they feel they cant control whats going on in there life they use a safe person to vent on. They are not good at controling that aspect of being a teen. All kids find ways to act out when their life is feeling stressed out, teens just tend to be more angry and rude. Sorry I have been through it many times. They get better with time and the best you can do is let them know that the behavior is hurtful and let them know you love them nomatter what. And always be there for them when they feel they want to talk.
    momngrammax5

Answer by momngrammax5 at 8:13 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• You have to be stern.. i went thru the same thing wen i was 17( i'm 22 now). I lived with my mom most my life my dad was in and out, i would just talk to them about the way they treating you and also speak with the father.. really its just a life lesson some have to learn on their own but they still should respect you and there father should know better as well you birthed those kids.. stand up for yourself
    and if he wanted to spurge on them tell him to pay for they college in advance lol make it worth something they can use for better
    mommiediap

Answer by mommiediap at 12:45 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• As a mother of 6 children 2 of them being girls I don't think it is at all uncommon for them, boys or girls to be moody. It's one of those traits that they automatically get once they get 13! Get plenty of sleep and lots of outside time for yourself it'll be over before you know it!
    6peace

Answer by 6peace at 10:30 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• those r u kids u gave birth 2 number 1 da dad shouldn't b influncing them 2 do dat n its ok 2 like the girlfriend she caqn neva take ur place if da dad is da reason for da problems his visits needs 2 b limited n u need to talk wit him abiout da bad behavior dat he has instored in da children n if dat don't help stop his visits
    mzskyla

Answer by mzskyla at 12:29 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I agree with momngrammax5...the girls are frustrated and confused by the whole situation of going back and forth between mom and dad. The safe person is YOU...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 3:43 PM on Aug. 13, 2009