Brushing my 1 year olds teeth.....

Almost everytime I try to bush my daughter's teeth, it seems to become a power struggle. I've tired everything I can think of to try to make it easier on both of us, but I just don't know what to do. Oral hygiene just isn't something I'm willing to compromise with her on! LOL=) I always let her watch me brush my teeth, and I let her attempt to brush her teeth before I do. And I even have one of those rubber teeth and gum cleaners for infants (which is what I normally end up using so i don't hurt her gums if it happens to slip during the "fight!") I would really appreciate any tips or advice that you all have to make this an easier process! Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i use crest on my little ones, i think crest is the best, just do it,even if they cry. getting a cavity at this age is not good. My 17 mo. old 3, 5, and 9 year olds like the crest mouthwash without alcohol that just came out use sparingly.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 3:33 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• tilt their head back in the sunlight so they do not fight as much, my new thing.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 3:35 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• OMG This sounds exactly like my son! We would literally have to hold him down, pinning his legs with my legs, and holding his arms. I just knew my neighbors were going to think I was torturing him, he would scream so loud. I tried everything, the toothbrushes that play music, the ones that light up, the electric ones, different toothpastes...everything! They would usually work for about 2 weeks and then we'd be back to square one. I asked the dentist what I could do...she said "keep doing what you are doing." UGH! Oneday I decided to put on a DVD about trucks (his favorite thing in the world). I didn't hold him down but put him on my lap and said "it's time to brush your teeth, you watch your movie and I'll be done soon." I don't know which it was, either the movie or not holding him down, but it was like I flipped a switch. He still doesn't like to brush, but he'll sit still long enough for me to do it IF he's distracted.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 6:59 AM on Aug. 12, 2009