I want to learn but where do i start

Ok so I feel like most of my political opinion is based soley on emotions and not to much on logical thought. Other than taking a class where would you suggest I look to learn more about politics...both current and past and understand what its talking about. any help you could give me i would really apprecaite

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I love this question. Finallly someone admitted it. EVERYONES opinion on here is based solely on emotion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:52 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Everyone, anonymous? You obviously dont read through the questions enough to see that many many women here from all political sides post sources and have intelligent feedback.

OP- I would start reading news articles from respectable sources. I'm still learning as well, but i visit this section everyday and always learn something new from the ladies here.. Just know, everything you read, take it all with a grain of salt until you can do your own research on the topic.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 5:56 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• My opinion is not based on emotion. Start with reading a good accurate history book.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:59 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• op here-

Carpy- Do you have any suggestions on a good book to start with (like for a beginner)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:12 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• OP--

I don't want to come across as crass or insulting, so please don't take it this way!), but I actually think the "________ for Dummies" book series are an excellent starting off point!!

They give you the broad concepts, and key facts (Like an expanded Cliff Notes), they're easy to read, concise and contain LOTS of references for you to research or delve into further or wherever you still have questions.

PLUS the authors have written HUNDREDS of books on MANY topics ranging from all types of History to Politics and Presidents, etc.

Here's one on Politics, you might want to start with. Go to the main page to do a keyword search on whatever else you don't understand.  :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:49 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Just read, read, read, that's my best recommendation. And with everything you read consider carefully the source. It is very rare to find something that is not skewed to one side. The best way to combat that is to take in both sides and decide for yourself.

Also a great jumping off point, look for a used text book from a Government class. It's great, when discussing politics, to know how Government works and why it's set up the way that it is.

Good luck!

(I love friendly civil questions!)
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:15 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Actually, Lorikeet's suggestion is a good one. That series of books is super helpful! I've read some them before when it came to photography, and they are jammed packed with knowledge! lol.
    I am sure they have political ones, as well. Maybe check Amazon for them? And I think it is awesome that you want to learn the truth about politics instead of hearsay or media! Good for you! :)
    sunnymom3

Answer by sunnymom3 at 9:36 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Take a history class. What you will find is that politics is an emotional game. This UHC is fueled by people who "feel" like the system is "unfair". The other side "feels" like it is "unfair" to make society as a whole pay the bills of individuals. The illegal alien issues are driven by emotions and what amounts to "gut feelings" of right and wrong. There are facts to learn, but one of the facts to consider is that we align ourselves with the liberals or conservatives based on how their platforms fit our emotional schema. It is not possible, and please don't try, to practice politics without emotions.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:39 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I like U.S. News and World Report & Time magazine. But not Fox News.
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 10:07 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I will go out on a limb and say most opinions are based on emotion, even when a person is well-informed of the facts. There are intelligient, well informed people on all sides of every issue under the sun. Somehow, the facts will effect you in a certain way based on the way you tend to believe, the way you see the world and everything in your life that has influenced you up to that point. But that is okay, isn't it? We are what we are....and yes, we can also change and grow. So, don't be afraid of allowing your emotions to effect your opinions...that is called "passion". Just read everything you can from all sides of the issue if you want to be well-informed as well as opinionated!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:26 AM on Aug. 12, 2009