Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

College tution need help urgently

Here is what is going on in 07 I was down florida visiting family and while down there i got a TEMPORARY JOB, like a summer job i was there only for 2 maybe months at the most. Then i returned to PA to continue my education that i was already working on since i had been goign to college since fall of 06 here in PA and I have been living in PA since December 24th of 04, BUT now PHEA is saying that in 07 because i got the job down there that i am NOT a legal resident of PA in 07 so they took away myFINCAIL AID FUNDING FOR THE LAST TWO SEMESTERS and these two semster coming up, they SAID they sent numerous emails but i dont recall recing ANY of them and with out this fincal aid from them I HVAe to PAYBACK for all finacail aid that they had giving me which equall outs too 3,700 and theer is no way i can pay i am unemployeed and on welfare please help i dont know what to do any ideas? only have 19t

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (4)
  • If you were already getting financial aid for college why did you report your summer job's income? In order to get financial aid you have to sign a contract correct? That fine print will get you everytime. See what you can do to appeal the decision but if they are retracting your financial aid based on previous monetary gain against a contract you signed I think you need to either get a job and pay the debt back or appeal their decision.

    Answer by lilbit022009 at 8:04 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

  • That doesn't make any sense at all. First of all they don't send official stuff by e-mail, if they want to contact you officially they send it through the US Post. Secondly if they refuse to give you money for the up coming semester, fine, go get a job and come back later when you can. But this paying back the old stuff is crap!  Third, I understand if you were upset while you were writing, but if that is the best writing you can do, then you need to seriously consider if you are really college material. (I would delete the question personally.)


    Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

  • yep, they can do that. did you fully read the requirements for "in-state". you must reside in the said state for at least 12 CONSECUTIVE MONTHS, 365 DAYS UNINTERRUPTED. Once you took that job, you changed you state of residence. It is not up to financial aid to make sure you read the forms, after all you are in college and they kind of expect that you can do that on your own. If they only have an email for you, they will use it to contact you. I am currently attending a major state university and have communicated wtih them a pleathera of times via email due to convienence factors.

    Being unemployed and on welfare won't stop them....this is not some unpaid phone bill or credit card. This is a debt to the government. The only way to get rid of student loans is to pay them or die. They will garnish your bank account, they can take state cash benefits, social security disability/ pension checks, tax refunds, etc.

    Answer by that_one_chick at 9:21 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

  • and to the first poster...........lying is not a good way to start off in college, not to mention that they verify all income with the fedreal government each semester. Most students must submit taxes and w-2s before and while recieving aid.

    Answer by that_one_chick at 9:25 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.