Do you think it's wrong?

I'm a christian, I go to church very faithfully and I really do love the Lord and apprecieate everything He does for me. I read my bible and try to be the best person I can be. Here's the thing, my bf and I recently broke up and I was just heartbroken, still am. I've been to a resturant/bar (like most are these days) a few times with friends when they had karoke night and then a night when they just played pool and hung out, ate and a lot of people were drinking, but I had a blast, we all laughed and had the best time. I didn't drink a drop, I don't smoke, just listened to music and had a good time. What do you think about that? Do you think it's wrong? It took my mind off of my ex and I was actually happy for a while....I guess I'm a little confused...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There is nothing wrong with going out to have a good time with friends.Even your pastor goes out to eat with friends I am sure.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 8:19 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Why would that be wrong?! I don't think because you are Christian means you can have no social life, that just doesn't make sense to me...I also don't see the fault in having a glass of wine or a beer if you did drink at the place ( obviously if you were responsible about it) God wants you to be happy and enjoy your life- going to a bar and hanging out with your friends is part of that if that's how you had a good time, please don't beat yourself up you did NOTHING wrong!
    sarahbrown1220

Answer by sarahbrown1220 at 8:26 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• if you're worried that your appearance in a bar would give the wrong impression, you're right. not to the regular barhopper maybe, but if you are striving to live like christ, and a weaker christian (or one who isn't a christian, and might be considering) views your life's testimony as non-christlike..it could damage their decisions. if your actions, even as innocent as they may be, cause another brother/sister to fall, what then? we are to lift one another up, fortify/strengthen each other..you may not drink to excess or at all, but another b/s might be of that persuasion addictively. you're best course of action, if you're really worried about it, is to refrain from any participation/appearance of un-christlike behavior. going to dinner with friends isn't the issue..but perhaps the locale is.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:40 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• is it wrong for people to assume bad things about you when they see you with certain people or in alcohol-available eateries? probably, but you may be feeling a nudge of the holy spirit telling you to check yourself and your activities/entertainments, due to how it may affect 'younger', weaker brothers/sisters in christ. idk..you could pray and seek wisdom on this issue..if you continue to be in doubt about the safety of such, that may be your answer. when in doubt, leave it out.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:43 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• So lets see, what part of this do you think is wrong? Singing? Eating good food? Spending time with friends, which is helping you keep your mind off of a painful incident in your life?

You weren't getting drunk and passing out, dancing on tables while you threw your clothes at the bartender, picking up strange men and taking them home with you, etc. (In fact, I don't believe that drinking is a sin - you can have a drink or two in a responsible manner and not get drunk.)

However, if you were carrying on, giving the appearance that you were doing these things, then that could be an issue. But to always avoid everywhere that could have someone doing something you don't agree with would be to live in a bubble. I mean, the person ahead of you in the checkout line could have beer that someone going by could think was with your purchases, right?
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:46 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• there is nothing wrong with going out and having fun with friends. even if you drink your still not a bad person. your jnust out having fun trying to get your mind of stuff like everyone esle. so no your not bad. its not wrong. dont worrie about it
    jacobmommy62106

Answer by jacobmommy62106 at 8:51 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Really? Good thing Christ didn't think that way. He could have cared less what others thought. He did hang out with the "bad" people. You had a good time relaxed and went on. My Husband and I do this every Saturday. It's date night. What has come of this? People there coming to us asking why we are so happy together. Or why we're just happy period. Good time for Witnessing without pushing. Because our patent answer is faith. The questions either start or they walk away. There have been more then a few that have gone back to their Church or looked for one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I think this is very interstiing- it's from rationalchristianity.net-

Consumption of alcoholic beverages is clearly depicted as ordinary in both the Old and New Testaments. If Jesus thought that drinking alcohol was wrong, he wouldn't have provided more wine (via a miracle!) at the wedding in Cana. Similarly, if God had not wanted the Israelites to drink at all, he probably wouldn't have tempted them by requiring them to have wine on hand for drink offerings (Lev 23:13). The real problem with alcohol is not with consumption but with intoxication. This is what the "anti-alcohol" passages are really addressing. Proverbs 20:1 says that those who are "led astray" by alcohol are unwise; those who are led astray are those who have consumed enough to let it affect their thinking.
    sarahbrown1220

Answer by sarahbrown1220 at 9:36 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• you don't need alcohol to have fun, at least you didn't get wasted and go home with some random douche.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:52 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I agree with "hair," I would not go against my own convictions, people on the out side may tell you it is alright, and it may be, but you need to follow what the spirit is telling you.
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 10:05 AM on Aug. 12, 2009