Has anyone been able to succesfully make their child lose weight?

If so, how did you do it? My daughter is 11 years old and while not significantly overweight she has been chubby for the past 3 years. She has taken Karate 2x a week for years, but does not like to be very physically active on her own. She reads a lot, and if left to her own devices would spend all of her time after school reading a book. I encourage her to go out to play and ride her bike, which I can sometimes get her to do grudgingly. She also is responsible for walking the dog each day. I cook very healthy meals for the family and buy very little snack food. But obviously, it's impossible for me to control everything she eats during the day. I have never told her that I'm concerned about her weight because I don't want her to develop a negative body image, but I don't want her to grow up to be overweight either! I would like to hear from people who have been succesfull in having their kids lose weight.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• why not just love her for who she is... some kids are chubby and grow out of it.. love your child as is! parents like you make your kids fat due to putting pressure on them to be thin!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Around that age girls tend to get a bit chubby before thinning out and developing breasts and hips. But it would still be wise to make sure she gets 60 minutes of exercise each day and eats a healthy well balanced diet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I would talk to her Doctor first and if the Doctor has concerns then I would address it then. If the Doctor is okay with her weight then leave it be.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:39 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• you know what i wouldnt worrie to much about it. and if you flat out tell her your worried you might give her an eating disoder. girls get there confidens and body image from there mothers. so if your not happy with how you are she isnt going to be happy how she is. if this is really that big of a deal to you then maybe you should get out there with her and play go for bikerides. show her that being active is a good thing. but if your not doing it you shouldnt make her do it. she is just doing what she sees.
    jacobmommy62106

Answer by jacobmommy62106 at 8:41 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Anonymous 8:31, as I mentioned in my post I have never told her of my concerns about her weight, so I don't think I'm putting pressure on her. Of course I'll love her for who she is chubby or not. But is it really unreasonable for me to be concerned about seeing signs that she might have a weight problem. Sorry, but I'm human. How many moms can honestly say that they would have not be at all worried about their child being overweight?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• First I would talk to her doctor and be sure her weight is within acceptable limits. But to address the lack of exercise, perhaps you need to get involved with her in some activity. Tell her that you need to get more exercise and you don't want to do it alone and would like for her to help you. Take hikes in the woods or just a brisk walk for 20 - 30 minutes a day. Or you might consider a workout program. Visit TeamBeachbody to learn more about some programs that most kids enjoy and moms as well. Family fitness is important and doing it together is more fun for everyone.

cja2882

Answer by cja2882 at 8:47 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• i can say i wouldn't care fat thin straight gay none of that matters to me as long as she is happy, im not fat nor thin and my dad was on me grwing up bout losing weight all the time and he made me feel worse about who i was then just being a happy parent that never forced it on me
    anarose26

Answer by anarose26 at 9:12 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• If you have a weight problem, you aren't healthy. A parent's job is to ensure that their children are healthy, not just happy. She'll probably be even happier if she is a healthy individual.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:29 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• i agree with your concern. and no that doesnt mean you dont love her. obviously you do because you have a worry. but the only extra i can offer, is maybe instead of making her go out and play alone, maybe you guys can do something together. when she walks the dog, go with, if possible start taking a little bit longer route. or go to a park to walk, maybe your town has a ymca? they usually have an indoor pool, thats awesome exercise! and usually kids that age are more than happy to go swimming. i agree with some others that this is a major time of change, not just for girls, but all kids around this age. of course giver time for weight loss bc its safer to lose a pound or two a week, not too much at a time. as always you're the mom, you know your child best and use your instincts. if you get too concerned ask her dr for advice, id just call instead of taking her with so she's not hurt about it. Good Luck!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 9:55 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I'm surprised at how many people seem to be upset that you are concerned! You are worried your child might be unhealthy...a sign of a GOOD parent! And not sharing your concerns with your daughter is also a good sign, no need to make her self concious at this tender age. Someone mentioned talking to the doctor to see if there is cause for concern. I agree with this whole heartedly...it could be that she's within a healthy range and that continuing to do what you are doing with the healthy foods and karate will be just fine. If it's not however, consider keeping veggies and fruits in the house for her to snack on. I am not a very active person and I read ALOT and a big thing that helps me is my choice of snacks. I've lost 42 lbs this year based on diet alone! Good luck!!!
    MynTop

Answer by MynTop at 10:08 AM on Aug. 12, 2009