Can a BF baby overeat?

My LO cluster feeds at night. So, last night, he fed and fed and fed and fed. Then DH was holding him and he spit up. Now, I am not a stranger to spit up; he does it once in a while. But, this was a big glob, rather than more runny, which is what I am used to. So, is it possible that he just ate too much?

bhwrn1

Asked by bhwrn1 at 8:50 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Talk in depth with your doctor. My daughter at about age four or five months was screaming and crying uncontrollably for a while. She would be satisifed while breastfeeding but not for long. Then it would start all over again. I rushed her to the doctor at one point and after a good exam my ped said she was a barracuda baby and was getting overfed...meaning she just wanted to suck but not on a pacifier or lovey toy she sucked on me and that caused my milk to come down and feed again and again.

If baby puts more breastmilk or formula in tummy than tummy can hold it will back up and come out.

if he's happy and active and not ranting and crying like my baby did I wouldn't worry too much.

So I got her some soft safe lovey toys and velcroed her wrist and she ate less and chomped happily away at that without overeating or throwing up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• You described her spit-up as a glob. If the glob was mucus-y, she may have a cold. Her feeding behavior can certainly change if she has a cold. Check for fever.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:24 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Neither breast fed nor formula fed babies can be overfed. They will spit up any excess.

If it was a "glob", i agree that it oculd be mucous from an oncoming cold. However, colds are not always (and actually rarely) accompanied by fever. Just start with the head elevation and running a humidifier in her room just in case.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• sometimes babies like to nurse for comfort..... not necessairly bc they are hungry. maybe try to find another way to sooth him
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:57 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• A BF baby cannot overfeed from the breast...yes ANY child can overfed from a bottle and NO not all of them will puke it back up, this is the BIGGEST misconception moms have that if they overfeed their child they will know because their child will puke. If you OVEREAT do you PUKE the extra up? HMMMM NO? Well neither does a baby lots of the time, their tummy stretches and becomes larger and they get used to overeatting. The breast is not like a bottle there is no constant fast flow, it slows to practically nothing, AND BF babies can do non-nutritive sucking meaning they aren't even getting anything because they are sucking differently. Non-nutritive sucking is GREAT for soothing and AWESOME for supply, no need to find another way to soothe baby as a PP mentioned.
    BF babies do not overfeed from the breast
    ASK a LC or a BFing group.....FFing moms generally can't give accurate Bfing advice
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:45 AM on Aug. 12, 2009