TV Show~"I didn't know I was pregnant"~~How is that possible?

How does a woman not know she is pregnantfor the ENTIRE pregnancy? I totally get that many women mistake early symptoms of pregnancy for not eating well, not getting enough sleep, indigestion, anything. I can understand a woman not know, for let's say, 5 months that she is pregnant.

I watched this show with my mom last weekend and we were dumbfounded. A woman gives birth to twins in the toilet and never knew she was pregnant. She gained 7 lbs during her bedrest due to health issues and figured the weight gain was because she was bedridden. But honestly, wouldn't you notice that there was something moving inside you?

Mom and I just looked at each other...HUH?? We grow big babies in my family, gotta love the German bloodline, but to not know something moving, stretching, growing inside you..I don't get how you wouldn't wonder or wouldn't figure that out.

Am I the only one in disbelief?

lilbit022009

Asked by lilbit022009 at 8:54 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I honestly cannot imagine not knowing I was pregnant. I think some of these women are honestly in denial and don't want to think about possibly being pregnant. There was one woman though who did a bunch of pregnancy tests, and even a blood test at the doctors and it came back negative. They said there must have been some mishap with the blood test, but even then she said she didn't know she was pregnant because she was overweight and her stomach looked the same and she never felt anything moving. It still really sounds like a bunch of crap to me that one day you wake up and realize that you are pregnant and you hadn't know for 9 months. I'm thinking they didn't want to deal with it or tell their family members until suprise it's here.
    MandyT1021

Answer by MandyT1021 at 9:56 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• yeah I agree. Considering some of these woman have other kids too.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:04 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I can't quite grasp it either. Even with my last baby, she only weighed 5lbs, but there was no way I wouldn't know she was in there! She was a hard kicker! lol

I can maybe understand if the woman was extremely over weight, or had some serious health issues...maybe....
    But when it's an average size woman and she's basically healthy....how could she not know??
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:10 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I don't buy it period!!! I didn't see the show but heard about it through a friend. It's the movement thing that gets me. I've had two kids and after about six months there is no ignoring the fact that there is something moving around inside you. I think these women have to have some reason for not wanting to be pregnant. Maybe they're already stressed with the kids they have, maybe there's a possibility that they don't know who the father is and they don't want to believe it. I know my cousin got pregnant at 14 and she tried to say she didn't know she was pregnant, but she just didn't want to tell her mom. Unless you're numb from your chest down I just don't buy it.
    shawneewaiting

Answer by shawneewaiting at 9:27 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• If you have watched the show then you would know how it's possible. Ignorance is around CM. For those who haven't maybe you should and educate yourself because it is possible.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I'm overweight, and I couldn't miss it, my baby kicks the crap out of me. U couldn't see it or feel it from the outside until 27 weeks, but I sure as hell didn't miss when the baby was kicking me or my cervix! its like "owe, my cervix....your kicking my fucking cervix!!!" You just cant mistake that for anything.

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 9:29 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Maybe Anon:29 hasn't ever carried a human parasite. It's not ignorance for those of us mothers who have been through pregnancy and we've watched the show. Comparing our experiences and watching that....even the doctors that try to "explain" it come off as far fetched.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 9:37 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• with my first son he didn't move hardly at all.... maybe once a week he would move a tiny bit. if i didn't know i was pregnant i would not have leaped to the conclusion that it was a baby. alot of the ladies on there are on birth control pills and continue to get their period regularly during the whole pregnancy, don't have any nausea or weight gain (that is not a must during pregnancy), so they have no reason to even believe they could be pregnant until they go into labor. some of them too have a history of irregular periods, and a couple of them had taken pregnancy tests that were negative. but no, you don't always feel a baby moving like crazy..... it depends on the baby.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:54 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• By the way:: You cannot have a period while pregnant-it's just bleeding.
    MandyT1021

Answer by MandyT1021 at 9:57 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

Actually I have 3 kids so I know WTH I'm talking about. My mother didn't even know she was pregnant with my sister till her 7 month and she bled the whole time. Even now when I have gas(which we all do) I swear it feels like a baby kicking me, so I can see how some ignore it and thought it was just "gas" Another thing you said was "comparing", that is your first mistake. Never compare your pregnancy to others and assume because you felt a certain way or so so happened to you, it will with others. WRONG.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Aug. 12, 2009