how much formula...

I'm just curious as to others experience on this - no bashing please on formula vs breast feeding or working vs sahm. My 10 week old weighs 14 and 1/2 pounds and is 24 inches long. Right now he gets a 6oz bottle in the morning and at night and 3 5oz bottles during the day. I'm wondering whether I should give him 5 6oz bottles especially as I'll be going back to work at the end of the month and it will be easier I think for the child care to be consistent.

amw529

Asked by amw529 at 8:59 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if he eats the 6oz bottle everytime just stick with it and if he only eats 5 of it then u just toss the last little bit
    anarose26

Answer by anarose26 at 9:02 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• yes, get him in the groove.. i always made to much..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 9:04 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• You should feed him what he wants or needs WHEN he wants or needs it.

If he wants 6oz give it to him. If he wants 5oz, give it to him. If he wants 7, give that to him.

Always feed on demand. I can't believe that at 10 weeks he's only taking FIVE bottles! That's astounding to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• We are having probs with our daughter vomiting all the time, and our dr said that she was probably over eating (not true, but..) said that she (at 12 weeks) should be eating at least 28-32 oz (of formula) a day. Right now she's not quite there, about 24 ounces, but I would suggest going to 6 oz bottles for every feeding.

Laitheledh

Answer by Laitheledh at 10:15 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

-- I was told to get him on a schedule especially with him going to day care so he eats every 4 hours (7:30 am, 11:30 am, 3 pm, 7 pm and 11 pm) and he sleeps from 11:30 at night to 7:30 in the morning. He's doing fine developmentally, he doesn't complain between feedings except for occasional gas, and the pediatrician said everything looks fine so why is 5 bottles a problem???
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 10:42 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I was told to get him on a schedule especially with him going to day care so he eats every 4 hours (7:30 am, 11:30 am, 3 pm, 7 pm and 11 pm) and he sleeps from 11:30 at night to 7:30 in the morning. He's doing fine developmentally, he doesn't complain between feedings except for occasional gas, and the pediatrician said everything looks fine so why is 5 bottles a problem???

i think is child is different my dd was ff and she took 4 oz bottle at that age about 8-10 a day. my ds is bf but i pump for him atthat age he would drink 2-3 oz of bm every 2 hrs.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:13 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I would talk to the doctor. And remember thatevery baby is different and the doctor will be able to tell you based on the growth chart.
    mrs.teel

Answer by mrs.teel at 11:45 AM on Aug. 12, 2009