Is there something more I should be doing for my daughter?

My daugher is 13 months. Happy and healthy and the light of my life. She is in the 50th percentile for weight and 70th for height. She is a great eater, and eats pretty healthy too. I jsust wanted to know if I was doing something wrong because if you are looking at her from behind, she looks her size. But once she turns around, she has a budda belly that makes her look like she is 9 months pregnant!!!! It is adorable, and I love it, but will it go away? Am I feeding her too much. She is walking and running everywhere so she is active for her age. I have no problem with it, but when you hear all the news about health problems for overweight kids I get a little nervous that I have her on the wrong path (and I know that may sound crazy at this age - I am worried about what people may think by my asking). my doctor is not worried at all. Thoughts?

rabbate

Asked by rabbate at 9:07 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That is totally normal. They run it off in time. My 3 year old was like that and now he is tall and thin. My 14 month old has that same belly!
    afbelle021

Answer by afbelle021 at 9:15 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• She's normal, and she's a baby, she will thin out with age and height. She's healthy and normal what are you worried about!?!?!?!?!?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• they grow out then up...dont worry to much about it. my daughter is 7 and still goes throught the same thing she will start putting on weight and I know that shes gonna have a growth spurt :). when she does she thins out and looks very healthy again.
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 9:31 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• She's a normal toddler. Quite often the belly gets bigger right before a growth spurt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Babies are supposed to be chubby. I would be concerned if your daughter was scrawny with her ribs sticking out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• It sounds more like you are worried about appearance rather then health. The doctor is saying she is in the 50 percentile for weight. That tells you she isn't over eating.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• LOL, that's normal. Their pot bellies are caused by undeveloped muscles in their back. Basically their posture sucks because their muscles aren't quite strong enough to stand up straight. It's completely normal. Around 4-5 is when their posture should improve and the pot belly will go away.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 3:50 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• MY little guys is 13 mths also. He gets a chubby belly and then has a big growth spurt. I always know when I start seeing that belly that im going to need longer pants for him soon!
    JSWeible

Answer by JSWeible at 12:38 AM on Aug. 13, 2009