Can someone explain the Rapture?

This is something I was never taught and don't understand. But I saw it on the Simpsons and now I'm wondering what it really is all about??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• As far as I know, it is when all of the good Christians are taken to Heaven before the end of days. Also, if you believe that and have pets, there is a service that is provided by Atheists to care for your pets after the Rapture, since we will still be here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• What it is , is the belief that if you are a true Christian( born again, follow Jesus's teachings, obey the commmandments, spread the word,. ) and are not just syaing you are one becuase you got baptised or you do not know what else to call yourself, then you and everyone else that are true believers are taken up with Jesus and depending on what you believe you either miss the whole tribulation or only part of it.
    I believe strongly in being taken up before the tribulation starts because I do not see why GOd would punish true believers with wishy washies or people who turned their backs on him completely. Also becasue of some Bible verses that refer to disappearing in the twinkling of an eye and not knowing when Jesus will come back. Every Christian knows that thr Tribulation is to last 7 years so they can figure out when Jesus will come back to set up his kingdom, so the rapture makes sense when you take into account not
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 9:41 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Rapture refers to Jesus's promise that his elect would be caught up to meet with him in the sky. Various Christian doctrines are divided over when and how this will happen.

There are four major eschatological views.
    1. Dispensational Premillennialism: Says the rapture happens either pre-tribulation period of mid-tribulation period. They hold to literal tribulation and millenium periods.

2. Historic/Covenant Premillennialism: Rapture happens for people who are already saved before the millenium period and again for people who will become saved during the millenium period (Rev 20).

3. Amillenialism (I am an amillenialist): There is no specific, literal millenium and tribulation periods. We have been experiencing both since Jesus' resurrection. The rapture can happen at any moment when Jesus comes back to judge the world and take us to heaven.

4. Postmillennialism: Similar to amillenialism (cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:16 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• its is the belief that all who have professed christ as savior/xtians will be taken into heaven (or somewhere safe) during the time of tribulation spoken of in revelations, and prophesied in earlier books. in other words, saved go to heaven, unsaved are left here on earth to deal with whatever is unleased, for x-number years, and then the final judgement.
    some believe in the rapture, 1000-yr reign, tribulation, etc..some do not take all of the revelations literally, but as symbolic. some think it was only a dream. some think it refers to only certain xtians. everyone's interpretation is different, and most can site various scriptures to support their beliefs.
    personally, i don't dwell on any of the 'what ifs' concerning the end of the world. my concern is where i end up, which my faith tells me that destination. how i get there isn't of much worry. what can kill the body, can't kill the soul..imo.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:17 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Postmillennialism interprets the passages about the two resurrections figuratively but has a generally more literal interpretation than amillenialism does in regards to other events. Postmill believes the resurrection happens after the literal millenial period.

These are the major views. A lot of Christians have their own mix or different interpretations altogether.

Hope that helped!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:18 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• also, what novemberlove said, agreed completely!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:18 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I believe in God but there is a whole world out there who believe in all sorts of different things. I can't just automatically believe in one church when there are so many in the world and only GOD knows what is true. The Bible has some valuable stories - and the Ten Commandments,for example, but they ARE just stories. Many churches talk about the Rapture but there are many who don't. I am just waiting for the truth which will be revealed after I pass on. In the meantime,I try to be the best person I can be. And I don't worry about "being swept up in the Rapture". OK?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• hairnazi :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:33 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• NovemberLove gave a very good explanation. I am a Catholic Christian and we have an "amillenialist" view. Here's a link to an article about the Catholic view of Rapture: http://www.catholic.com/library/Rapture.asp
    LibbyLife

Answer by LibbyLife at 12:01 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Anon, I know it seems confusing sometimes when people believe different things. However, we all agree about the gospel and the fact that judment is coming, and you need Jesus to save you. But I would encourage you not to try and pick someone's explanation that makes the most sense to you regarding the end times prophesies in the Bible, but to study the prophesies yourself. Once you get more familiar with the Bible it will be so much easier for you to see what you think about this topic.

I personally 100% believe in a pre-tribulation rapture. It is the most popular belief and it actually dates all the way back to the early church (Paul believed that he would even be raptured and then the tribulation would come). Not all Christians believe that, and that is okay. But the timeline is basically the Rapture (could happen any time) Where all believers are taken up like Elijah and Enoch, who never died but were raptured.

cont.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:49 PM on Aug. 12, 2009