Help! My 2 yr old wakes up at 5:30 every morning! It doesn't matter what time he goes to bed, I've even tried skipping his nap! No matter what he wakes up at 5:30, we've blacked out his room, used a white noise machine, I am at my wits end my other two kids sleep until 7:00 any suggestions? I'll also take sympathy:)

jkirstine

Asked by jkirstine at 9:19 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Getting rid of a his nap and changing his bedtime to later won't alter when he wakes up if he's just an early riser. I'll give you my sympathy, and hope for you it's just a stage he's going through.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:26 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Slip some valium! Haha! I am so totally just joking!

I feel for you. My son wakes up between 5 and 5:30 and then takes a nap at 7:30! I don't know why he can't just SLEEP UNTIL 7! I am sooooo tired :)

...have you tried a good bonk on the head? (still kidding!)
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:27 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• adjust your schedule to fit his. plain and simple, problem solved.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Does he wake up fussy or happy? If he's happy, leave him. My little guy, luckily, is usually happy for up to an hour in his room after waking up. Sometimes, my son will go back to sleep too. It doesn't always mean you get more sleep, but it might get you a few minutes of just laying and stretching and getting ready for your day, which can do wonders for the mood. Also, I suggest a programmable coffee maker. Stubling half asleep into the kitchen and finding the coffee already made can be wonderful, too.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 9:38 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I agree anony827. Make sure he knows that when the son rises he can get out of bed and play quietly in his room but not before then. If the sun is not yet awake then he must stay in bed. Maybe its' gone into that he's scared being in pitch pitch black now? Remember he's a twoer. That year is curiousity and learning and exploring and demanding beyond belief.

If he's awake and only freaks out cuz he can't play then if the sun is awake let him play or if the day (daylight) is awake then let him play I say. Better to have him super happy and giggling and laughing at 530 in the morning than having a temper tantrum, right? Keep a baby monitor on even a video monitor to be safest. Of course keep his room safe electrically and toywise and such.

Baby is a baby still. Love and learn and love more and enjoy most of all.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• mine does too...... i just spend time with him 1 on 1 until my other son gets up. if you are tired, maybe you should go to bed earlier. he's probably just a morning person (i'm not, so i feel your pain lol)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:59 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Try putting him in the bed with you. That always worked for my son.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Put toys in his crib so maybe he will play with those for a while. Books, or a learning leap frog that sings and stuff.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• wow - I can't believe how easy some kids are ! my son wakes up at this time too and he wakes up crabby most mornings, So not only do I have to get up at 5 every morning, I have to be creative on how to make him happy - he would NEVER play happily or quietly in his room for an hour..lol! no way!! I know my son is harder than most ( believe me, its true! ) So here's some sympathy for you mommy....
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:55 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• when he is a little older explain if he is going to wake up this early thats fine but the rest of us are asleep it's VERY early so he may wake up but stay in his room and play. At this age I would just bring him into bed maybe he will go back to sleep my almost three year old wakes up at 630 but goes back to sleep with us.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 12, 2009