Is the AARP onboard or not?

AARP tells Obama: No health plan endorsement yet
By RICARDO ALONSO-ZALDIVAR (AP) - 14 hours ago

WASHINGTON - A group usually seen as one of Barack Obama's allies in the health care debate - AARP - says the president went too far Tuesday when he said the seniors lobby had endorsed the legislation pending in Congress.

AARP is sensitive to the issue because polls show that Medicare beneficiaries are worried their health care program will be cut to subsidize coverage for the uninsured.

At the town hall in Portsmouth, N.H., Obama said, "We have the AARP onboard because they know this is a good deal for our seniors." He added, "AARP would not be endorsing a bill if it was undermining Medicare."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• But Tom Nelson, AARP's chief operating officer, said, "Indications that we have endorsed any of the major health care reform bills currently under consideration in Congress are inaccurate."

Like Obama, AARP wants action this year to cover the uninsured and restrain health care costs, but the organization has refrained from endorsing legislation. Nelson said AARP would not endorse a bill that reduces Medicare benefits.

A spokesman said the Medicare cuts that have been proposed so far would not affect benefits.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Are the Medicare cuts administrative? Does anyone know?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:34 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• From what I can tell, AARP is not actively opposed to it. There has been action by another so-called senior group (which is actually tied to insurers, so they have an agenda) against the bill, but AARP has not. I remember seeing a commercial by AARP last week that gave me the impression they were leaning towards the supportive side because it was dispelling some rumors related to aging provisions of the bill.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• LOL!!! So that condescending spokeswoman who walked out on the angry "mob" of AARP subscribers saying "they did not endorse this bill," ummm, LIED?!?!?

Or are they just trying to save face as subscribers are quickly cancelling their memberships?!?! LOL

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:42 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Here's a good follow-up! LOL

"The Leadership is working in close coordination with the White House and outside groups (including but not limited to HCAN, Families USA, AFSCME, SEIU, AARP, etc.) to ensure complementary efforts during August. The President, Secretary Sebelius and other principals in the reform debate will be working throughout the month to hold events, promote the message in the press and move the reform effort forward."

AARP's vice president, Drew Nannis, immediately got on the phone with Pelosi's staff, and within a few minutes came back with the claim that the memo published was just a "draft" composed by an "over-zealous staffer."

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:46 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Oh, those staffers! So zealous! So, so zealous, one might say overly so...

I know I fall on the liberal side of things most of the time, but Nancy Pelosi really bugs me. She's just such a line tower. I swear she'd rather lick Obama's boots than listen to an intelligent conservative on an issue. I'm not saying conservatives have it all figured out, but we do NEED both sides of the coin here!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:59 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• "A spokesman said the Medicare cuts that have been proposed so far would not affect benefits."

We have an aging population and growing Medicare rolls. Medicare has been heading for insolvency for quite some time. Cuts seem illogical to me. The elderly have reason to fear.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:24 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I also saw a statement today which was posted on the news. The AARP president said that the organization doesn't and hasn't back the bill. I also saw a disclaimer by the senator BO said wrote the original legislation. The senator said that his proposal was for individual choice and putting healthcare back into the hands of the people. His proposal was for some regulation on the insurance companies and not a UHC plan. He also said that he has never once consulted with the president on any healthcare proposal. A mistake (lie) about the AARP and then who the president consulted with. Why lie about these little things, and what else is being lied about?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:31 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• There doesn't seem to be enough room for all of those being thrown under the Obama bus. I realize that there are just some people that hear what they want to hear, but Obama is just making things up and that is enough to make me never trust him. Well, that and the fact that he is a politician.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• mancosmamma, the quote you pulled says that "benefits would not be affected" which to me says that the cuts are administrative, but I don't know for sure. If the AARP doesn't know where the cuts are, how can you?

It doesn't seem clear where the cuts come from, I think that's why the AARP is holding off on their endorsement. It's comforting to know that they won't sign until they're sure so that when/if they do sign we'll know that they made sure their issues were clear.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:09 AM on Aug. 12, 2009