Did anyone else's kids have to have a binder in kindergarten?

My dauhter is five and starts kindergarten this year!! I got her supply list online off the schools website and was surprised to see that she needs a 1" binder and 3 spiral comp. books and folders with pocketsand brads!! And thats not even half her list . When I was in kindergarten all we had to have was folders, colors,pencils,paper and small baic stuff like that , we didn't need binders till like 5th grade!! They expect my 5 year old to carryall this stuff everyday!!

brandy2186

Asked by brandy2186 at 9:31 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in

• I have one going into kindergarten this year and his list also had a 3 ring binder on it. I asked what that was for because even my oldest son didn't have to have it. His teacher told me it was their "folder" for taking back and forth. It helped keep from papers getting lost because they would just punch holes in the papers and fasten them in for things that they would be using over a long period of time. Our binder is being used to help keep things more organized and I really like the idea. (At least I won't have to keep up with a lot of papers b/c they'll be in the binder)
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 5:27 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• they dont carry it around-they keep the crayons and stuff @ their desks(atleast here they do)...my dd school pools supplies...so they want you to buy more for the kids who dont bring stuff in...grrr...so ya i get it but her name is written in big sparkly ink on everything :) im all about helping others in need but not when I have to scrimp to get what mine needs...
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 9:39 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I think that it is great that your child's school starts teaching organizational skills so early.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:29 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• They don't carry the supplies back and forth, most of the stuff stays at school. The binder is probably for organization purposes and if so, I think it is a great idea for the school to be teaching that starting in Kindergarten. Ask the teacher why the binder is needed.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:01 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• 3 spiral comp books? Do they expect her to be writing her thesis? Sounds like a bunch of crud to me. If I were you I'd ask what kind of things items like those are used for in kindergarten. I could understand it in 2nd or 3rd grade, but it sounds a bit extreme for kindergarten.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Aug. 12, 2009