Did you have help paying for your wedding?

My real great fiance convinced his mother that he would never get married about OHHHH, 6 years ago. SO, his mother gave him all his wedding money so he can buy some good recording equipment for his music. Around $5 -$6,000. My parents live from paycheck to paycheck, so asking my parents for help would be laughable. Anyhow, I'm really hoping that his parents will help us out anyway. I mean, he is the first born son & his mother is super excited that he is getting married, since a few years back she thought it would never happen.

Anyhow, did any of y'all have help paying for your wedding? If not, how much did you fork out & what would you have done differently?

I am totally ignorant when it comes to planning weddings, any advice would be AWESOME!

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 9:34 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• When I got married my parents were strapped for money (both still recovering from their divorce). My dad did buy the food for my wedding (we had ham sandwiches), my mom is a seamstress and she bought material and altered he wedding dress for me-- as I had always wanted to wear mom's dress. She also made my headpiece-- I did not like the one she had worn. My fiancee and I paid for the rest of our wedding ourselves. We had decided from day 1 to keep it simple- we had it at a country church, invited close family/friends only, had the reception at the church. I think our biggest expense was the cake from a bakery. The photographer had a wedding package deal, and we found out the day of our wedding our nephew was dating her daughter-- so she threw in alot of extra pictures for free. My husband and I just had 1 sibling stand up with us, and no other attendants. My husband just wore a suit, so no tux fees.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:42 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• The first time I got married my fiance and I paid for our flowers and my parents footed the rest of the over 30,000 dollars.

The second time around me and my husband paid for all of it but my wedding cake (daddy purchased) and my daughter's flower girls dress and the hotel private brunch the next day (both paid for by my mum).
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 10:15 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• What I've learned as I've gotten older (I'm a whopping 32 now) is that do what you can afford. If that's 50,000 dollars so be it - if it's 50 dollars then work that 50 bucks. Try not to put anything on credit. My parents paid for my 1st wedding with cash - so when it was all over with they weren't still paying for it years down the road. And I'm so glad cuz that marriage lasted all of 3yrs, well 4 really but we were seperated the last 1yr of it and I would have felt gulity if they were still paying for it and we weren't even together.

Weddings are wonderful and beautiful ocassions but they shouldn't be the only focus - the marriage should be the real focus. A wedding goes by in a day, marriages (should) last a lifetime. I'm on marriage #2 and that wedding cost us a whopping 2-3 thousand bucks and has so far lasted 7yrs next month.

However, when planning a wedding shop around don't settle for the first thing....
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 10:21 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• you see, such as the dress, the reception location, cake and so one. Don't be afraid of asking for a good price. In this economy it could be to your advantage - lots of places realize people are scaling way back then they were say 2yrs ago so play that to your advantage. Don't be afraid to ask people you know for reccommendations either - "hey know a good florist?, photographer, a good place to get a great combo hair & make-up deal?". Speaking of make-up, did you know that most make-up counters will do your make- for free as long as you buy something from the counter? I did that at Nordstrom with Bobbie Brown cosmetics, me & my maid of honor had our make-up done for free and all we bought was a few tubes of lipstick.

Want a good photographer? then go to a photography school and hire a senior or best in the class for half the price. Usually they appreciate the opportunity for the experience that they'll often...
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 10:27 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• My parent's paid for the full wedding and my Husbands Father paid for the rehearsal dinner. We didn't pay a dime for anything except the rings. He paid for my gift but my Mom paid for his gift. I am just very fortunate to have a family that could afford to pay for a large wedding. If my Family had not paid we probably would have just done a small chapel typed wedding.
    We were young and did not know much about weddings and how they go. My Step-Mom and Mom pretty much planned my whole wedding and they did a spectacular job. Looking back we both wished that we had slowed down and enjoyed the day.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:28 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• give you a great price. When it was my turn to pay for my own wedding that's what I did and it only cost me 100 bucks. The young lady came to my home took pictures of me and my bridal party getting dressed, wedding and reception pics. I got both black & white pics, stills and candids. Came out great.

Same with my wedding cake. I went to a pastry school and hired the top student or teachers assistant and she did my cupcake wedding cake for ready for this...40 bucks. How was the cake? The absolute best cake I've ever had at a wedding. Top teir was a regular cake but everything underneath was cupcakes.

Wedding dress cost me 350 verses my first dress which was 2grand. Me and my bridal party wore no shoes but we had our toes painted and our feet Mendied (Indian tattooing) cost of mine 40 bucks. What's the point of having my bridal party spend money on shoes they would probably only wear once? Message me for tips.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 10:33 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I had an English country village wedding and the whole thing cost somewhere around 1,500 pounds 21 years ago.  (That would equivalent to approx $3,000 at the time.)   My husband and I paid for most of it but both our parents helped out.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:57 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Thankyou ladies! I want to keep it simple, but it's SO, SO hard! All of your advice was great! This is going to be a pain in the ass, but I'm pacing everything. I have 9 months for planning, hopefully all will go well!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:02 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• My parents paid for my wedding when I was 20 (I was widowed 4 years later). But now - I'm over 50, so my fiance is paying for most of it and I'm paying for my dress and the bridesmaids dresses.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 12:49 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• my mom found a dress shop that is a consignment shop and i havent been in to look yet but she says they have dresses from like 25 dollars!!!! heck in todays ecomony ill go to a consignment shop idc lol im not sure who id footing the bill for our wedding lol im the youngest and the only girl and hubby is the the youngest and only boy lol (yes hubby already we are married but kinda ranaway and got married so now we are doing a wedding wedding on our anniversary next july) thats another reason i dont know whos footing the bill lol i kinda have a feeling both sets of parents are gonna say we shoulda thought of that b4 running away and getting married lol
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 10:42 PM on Aug. 12, 2009