If you are not a homeschooler and/or not a homeschool graduate...

why in the world do you think that your opinion is valid? You have no experience to base your knowledge on, you don't know many of us...except for maybe a few have homeschooling family members. I mean REALLY know us. We really don't care about your kids...why do you feel you even get to have an opinion on what we do with ours?
All of you who say children will feel left out, unsocialized ect...do you really get this? Have you ever sat at a school and watched children purposely exclude others and be mean and hateful?
Life is REALLY SHORT. My kids are too valuable to have to deal with that.

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 9:38 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I guess for the same reason HS jump in on the Public School issues. To offer another side. There is nastiness on both sides from what I have read. Some things people say about PS are in many cases just flat untrue, as it some of the things that people say about HS. I think we should all be nicer about how we word our answers and remember that schooling is so important and it is easy to hurt someones feelings when there is so much passion in the subject. For example, I can tell by the wording of your question that you are angry, but it came out as a rant against PS- which was probably not your full intention.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:51 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• confused

bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 9:41 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• My son has gone through being excluded in public school and even the horrific events of being bullied. But life is like that. Public school is there for a reason and I cannot see how removing him from public school will help him be more well rounded and understand the world if he isn't a part of it. Understanding how the world is now, IMO, will help him to better understand real life as he gets older.

There is more to education than being homeschooled. I feel my son would obtain far less in being homeschooled. For those that it works for...that's awesome. It's not a choice that I would embrace. But my opinion as a mother and a tax payer don't need to be validated by someone who doesn't understand my choice to keep my son in public school. Much like you're angry at someone else's view of why you chooce to homeschool. It's up to that individual and what you choose to subject your child to. That's you call.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 9:43 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I have no idea, why would we respond to these type of issues with homeschoolers?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:45 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• But life is NOT like that. Do you go to work and get bullied? I sure as hell don't. I don't put up with it.  If you look at your history public school was created for one reason, to keep kids off the streets while mom and dad worked. (Because children were no longer allowed to work.) THAT is the reason for public schooling.As for making them well rounded and understanding of the world, how about taking them to view public town halls rather then study it in the classroom. What about reading and going places. I don't think you understand homeschooling. Homeschooled kids are the MOST well rounded kids around. Just because we don't put up with school politics doesn't mean we don't know what we are doing
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 9:48 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• This is in response to another question. Sorry, I should have made that clear.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 9:50 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Someone has great illusions of just how rounded THEIR children are, please get off the soapbox, write a journal for bob's sake and get over yourself. Your kids are homeschooled, we get that, ours aren't, bfd.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• You know what? I agree. There are GREAT public schooled kids out there. What I am saying, is WHY do some of you even feel that you can have an unbiased opinion on it if you have never experienced it? It just irritates me that some people think they know what is best for everyone.
    Public school simply isn't for everyone, neither is homeschooling.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 9:56 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• The OP does not speak for all homeschoolers. Most of us never would have posed this question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Those who don't home school have no clue. They can say public school is necessary all they want but study after study shows home schooled children do better in school and in life. Colleges actively recruit home schooled kids for scholarships. They know home schooled kids are already self starters and typically more responsible. They usually deal with conflict better since they are not simply told to suck it up but given real solutions. I could not hinder my child's growth by putting them in public school.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Aug. 12, 2009