My son has what many kindly refer to as a listening problem, what can I do w/ my 8 year old son! It's like a filter is loose!

MissLiss113

Asked by MissLiss113 at 9:44 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• not sure what you mean? When my son was about 8 I remember complaining to my aunt that he just could never do what I asked, not take out the garbage for example even. My aunt told me that her husband in his forties then couldn't even take out the garbage why on earth would I expect that an 8 year old could do it.

Try a chore chart with privileges for accommpishments on it as rewards - he chooses a game for family game night, he gets to choose a dinner, he gets to choose a breakfast restaurant - things like that...

is he a dreamer? But he pays attention in school but not at home? Maybe he needs an activity that's physical to let out his dreams, steam. Karate, Boy Scouts, 4H has tons and tons of groups of all different kinds. After school art classes? Is his school work affected by not listening? ADD?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Look into sensory integration disorder and see if that fits. Good luck
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:05 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Our daughter has the same issue, in one ear and I don't think it goes in... just bounces out. So we get down on her level, make eye contact. Tell her what we need and make her repeat it back.

It's a bit arduous but it works.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 11:20 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Eye contact, simple direct directions (I need the garbage taken out to the trash can now please) and have them repeat it if necessary. Make sure they are held accountable for there chore.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 12:21 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• boys (men as well) seem to 'hear' better when a lower tone of voice is used. I have tried this with my DH and my sons and it works....not 100% of the time but way more than what they used to hear. I would also give short statements.....not son would you please take out the garbage it is overflowing....say take the garbage out now. and do not do for him until the job has been done. If he is watching TV (for example) when you ask him shut the TV off and i does not get turned on again until the chore is finished
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 4:02 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Parental deafness?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on Aug. 12, 2009