Diaper Rash??!!

My 16 month old daughter has a really bad case of diaper rash. I change her diaper often. I've used Desitin and a diper rash cream made by Johnson & Johnson. She's also been pooping like 4 times a day and the last 2 days when i get her up out of bed she has a poopy diaper and Lord knows how long it's been there!! She goes to bed at 8pm and I get her up between 7a-8a, so sometime between that. My question is, is there anything else i can use on her to make it heal faster and make it not as painful for her? The creams I've been using seem to hurt when I put them on her because she screams bloody murder and her lips turn blue from crying so hard!! I just need some help, I've never had to deal with diaper rash before, both my kids have never really had it till now. I know it's from her pooping so much during the day. What can I do to make her feel better?!

a_bai04

Asked by a_bai04 at 9:58 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Aquaphor, aquaphor, aquaphor! The stuff is amazing.
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 5:30 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Best I can offer is to put lots and lots of aquaphor or vasaline on at night to help protect the bottom from getting worse and to put it on over the cream you are using. It will act as a barrier and keep the poop out of the rashed areas. Unfortunately, all creams will hurt when you first put them on. Even just lotion. But it will make your child feel better once she clams down.

Try to figure out what's causing the change in her bowl movements. Any new foods? Teeting? (sometimes swallowing a lot of drool can do that to ya), etc. Any new medications? It's possible it's a yeast rash which might need a Rx or some OTC athelete's foot cream. Your doc is best best one to decide on that.

Try feeding yogurt (the life culturs help the digestive tract) or there are some powders that can be mixed with food or drinks that have the same affect. I just can't recall the names.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Gold Bond Baby Powder works wonders. It's cornstarch powder with zinc oxide added. It works better than anything else I tried.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 10:06 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Merjo! It works wonders.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:09 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I agree with the vaseline BUT I wouldnl't put it on til all cleared up for it to be a barrier. That stuff on a rash hurts like h&ii really bad.

Pure kitchen corn starch (Argo is a name brand with no additives) put on AFTER washing baby's bottom and vaginal area with lukewarm water and PATTING not rubbing patting dry with VIVA soft paper towels will help baby heal. If you can stay home and stay in til baby's healed and give floor time naked that'd help too.

But don't put on vaseline til after healed then religiously every single diaper change. The pain from stinging meds on a baby's horribly raw bottom is bad.

Try the cornstarch and lukewarm water Viva towels - baby will heal pretty fast. Remember to pat dry not wipe. Squirt bottles with warmer water in it for errands or road trips canbe used. By the time used the water is lukewarm not hot.

Oh it'd be really helpful to change baby thru night so urine poo doesn't build.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Gold Bond powders are good but many have menthol in them that stings on a sore or rash. Be sure to look at the different ingredients.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• The best ointment I've ever used is plain old A&D...it works very fast and it doesn't hurt them when you put it on. I swear by it! Why is she pooping soo much? Do you give her a lot of juice? My son gets diarrhea bad from orange juice...
    GinaPetty

Answer by GinaPetty at 12:55 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I agree with the cornstarch answer. I used to also gather up all those worthless baby washcloths and boil them, then put them in a large zip lock bag - use those to clean the bottom VS baby wipes while she is still rashy, or just put her in a bathtub.
    My doc also recommended a product called Calmoseptamine (i think that is how you spell it). It is for rashes. You have to get it at the pharmacy, but no prescription is required and it costs about the same as diaper cream. Put that on generously when she goes to sleep - you will notice a huge difference in the morning!
    afbelle021

Answer by afbelle021 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 12, 2009