Since there is a rise in bed bugs are you still purchasing from the second hand store?

I just recently started shopping at Salvation Army and other resale shops. I Looooove It. But there has been news reportings saying there is a rise in bed bugs this year so I kind of hestitate.

cakestylist

Asked by cakestylist at 10:05 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Shopping

• i wouldthink you can wash everything in hot water when you bring it home. IDK anything about bed bugs...but Im assuming that washing stuff would get rid of it.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:06 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• im fairly certain they wash everything they get, if they arent individually packaged already. So i wouldn't worry about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• To be completely honest bed bugs can get into new stuff too. All it takes is a person that has them at hometo go into that store a they can spread. those things can get in your stuff through walls of apartments and on your kids at school. IAlso it hs nothing to do with how clan your house is. They are at a rise because the chemical used to kill them has been taken off the market. My FIL works at a five star hotel and they have had bed bugs. Just keep bleaching your clothes and cleaning with lysol if you can.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• anon, there is no way they wash everything they get in. They don't have the resources or time to do that. They wouldn't make any money.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:15 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• It doesn't matter to me if they wash them or not. I wash EVERYTHING that I buy in any store new or used. You don't know how many people tried that shirt on before you bought it. I also spray down hats, etc to help kill lice.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:20 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• ya , they dont wash anything they get in...but i do and will continue to buy second hand...they go from the store to my washer with hot hot hot water and 2 rinses...
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 10:23 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• anytime I buy secondhand, it goes straight to the basement to get washed; this is nothing new.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:56 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• When I buy any thing, new or used I wash it first. I once bought a pair of pants from Macy's and did not wash them first. The pants gave my a rash from the execs die in the pant. Now I wash everything
    ibeamomysomeday

Answer by ibeamomysomeday at 2:52 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• We have bed bugs in our home. Washing alone is not enough to get rid of them. If you even miss one or two eggs you can have a full infestation again in less than two months. We sleep on a sofa bed we bought new and they are in that. dh and I are literally covered in bites. We take the couch apart several times a week and steam it, squish and tape any bugs we find, put everything in sealed plastic bags in the dumpster and still they are not gone. They can live in a clean house because they don't eat garbage like roaches, they just live on blood like fleas do.

One study showed that some people are not allergic until they have been bitten over a long period of time. The first bites can take ten days to show up. The eggs hatch in two weeks and females lay up to five eggs a day, every day once they are in the adult phase. By the time you realize what the bites are you can have hundreds in your house.
    http://www.killbedbugs.org/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Aug. 14, 2009