If you miss a court date can they take your kids away from you ?

We have yet to pay our last months rent to our apartment but have already moved into our house . We just can't seem to get a break ,my hubby's job cut his hours, my van took a poop his van took a poop, we just can't seem to get the entire amount of rent saved since we have to think of feeding our DD first. THey can't evict us since we are out of course but they can take us to court for the money we owe them but hubby MIGHT be starting a new job FINALLY and might not be able to go to the court date and hopefully I will be able to since I am 8 months prego and have no babysitter for our DD. I think they can put a warrant out for his and maybe my arrest since I am also on the lease if we don't make to the court date. What worries me is that they might try and take our daughter away from us. Is that possible I really pray that it isn't possible.I can't handle that after being through so much already .
we even sold our rings!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• If you can't make it contact them ahead of time and let them know. It's the people who just let it slide that get in trouble. Explain to them what is going on and request that they move it to another date. They would remove your children ONLY if they arrest you and put them into a foster home until family can be found to take care of them. This is simply because they can't live at home without any adult present. They don't remove children simply because you're taken to court and can't pay your bills.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:17 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Thats civil and not criminal court I'm assuming as most rental/lease contracts are...Go to the court date, they wont haul you off to jail...You have to face the music and its better to just deal with a problem before it gets any bigger...You can probaly come up with a payment schedule to get things taken care of.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 10:18 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• If your situation is putting your children in immediate danger, they can temporarily remove your kids and place them in foster care. However, there is a strong motive to reunite, so you would receive services to help you with your situation for the sake of the kids. If you do what you have to in order to keep things safe for your kids, you will be ok.

The most important thing though...DON'T MISS YOUR COURT DATE! Do whatever it takes to make it. That is the most important thing you have to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Do not skip court. Take your kids, if you have to .

Answer by rkoloms at 11:08 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• thanks !
    My hubby will hopefully not have a job by then so he can go to the court date if he does have a job by then he will HAVE to take a day and risk getting fired because I do NOT want my daughter taken away !
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 2:20 PM on Aug. 12, 2009