Can We Really Afford That

An extra 13 billion in the defense budget for little extras to make military family life easier

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I would rather spend $13 billion on our military and their families who are collectively sacrificing so we can have this open discussion than on cash for clunkers, UHC, bailing out companies that should have been allowed to follow the flow of a free market, or a whole bunch of entitlement programs for a whole bunch of people (not all but a bunch) who act entitled and don't do one productive act to improve this country or their own lives as a matter of point. Support the military and return our focus to winning the war and bringing our people home!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:55 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• $13 billion is a drop in the bucket compared to what they are spending on other ridiculous things.
    As for cash for clunkers, where do all of those old cars go to die? Landfills? Do they recycle the parts and metals / plastics? Does this not just create more trash for our landfills? How does that help the environment?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• As jesse said, I would rather spend 13 billion on our military and military families rather than other useless waste we are spending taxpayers money on.. 500 million dollars for new jets for our senators? Waste! Bail outs? Waste! Obamacare? Major WASTE! I can go on and on.. :sigh:
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 10:58 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Are we going to pull that money out of our butts?
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 11:01 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• And I agree with Bexi and Jesse
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 11:02 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I am betting the 13 mil is already in the budget, it's just getting moved from one program to another. For example, enlisted and re-enlisted bonuses are dissappearing as well as some incentive pay.
    rotPferd

Answer by rotPferd at 11:11 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Actually whitehouse.gov shows a 4% increase for 2010 over 2009.

rotPferd where are you getting your info?
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 11:51 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I also think it is a drop in the bucket compared to some of the other crap. This kind of spending doesn't just benefit military families. It indirectly benefits those that don't serve. A soldier should not have to worry about his/her family while on the battlefield. Some monies don't benefit individual families either. EX. When they refurbish or build military housing it benefits the many families that will live in the homes over the years.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:42 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Bluecollar, my DH is an Army recruiter. I'm betting the 4% increase is because there are alot of ppl joining. Seems to be only place hiring these days.
    rotPferd

Answer by rotPferd at 1:15 PM on Aug. 15, 2009