I just started my 4 1/2 month old daughter on jar food her ped. recomended it.. but now when I give her fruit like applesauce or bananas she doesnt sleep through the night? she wakes up 2-3 times a night her last jar feeding is around 5-6pm and I put her to bed at 8 so you wouldnt think the sugar could still be ini her system would you?

Slimgirl1981

Asked by Slimgirl1981 at 11:01 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Yes the sugar and also the fruit is acidic and could be giving her a little acid when she lays down. I would not give fruit that late.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 11:03 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• maybe her stomach is not ready for fruit.
    Proud2bJmom

Answer by Proud2bJmom at 11:09 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I would stop solids for now.
    Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 11:42 AM on Aug. 12, 2009