Does anyone else have this problem? It pisses me off!

I was talking to my mother last night and I told her the names I decided on and she had nerve to say, "Why do you have to name your child a mexican name?" My child is half mexican and I want their name to reflect part of their heritage because my child is going to have my last name so my child will also have part of an Irish name. I told her that she needed to accept the fact that my child is half mexican and half white. She had nerve to say well you dont have to give it a mexican name still. That really hurt me because that is my child and I think that it is important that they know about their heritage mexican and irish and I am going to make sure of that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The good thing here is, it's your baby, not your mom's. Name your baby whatever you like. My family didn't like either of the names me and DH picked for our kids because they weren't "family names". They lived.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• My MIL actually had a problem with the name we picked out for our son as well. Its the name of my DH, and his father as well. She's divorced so I think she was offended we would give him his grandfather's name (She is the step mother and did not name my DH). However, I made it perfectly clear that it was MY child and I would name him whatever I wanted. Sometimes you just have to put your foot down and be firm. You are the one who is going to be yelling that name just about 24/7 for the next 18 years so you should be comfortable with it :)
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 11:07 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I am sorry! BUMP!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• my whole family had a problem w/ the girls names we picked out (we didn't know what we were having). it wasn't bc they were a certain heritage or racial name like you're going through. but, i just kept telling them that it was our child and we would name it whatever we wanted. they finally stopped asking me to pick diff names, and it ended up being a boy.
    she'll get over it; it may be later on, but she will get over it.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 11:20 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I know exactly how you feel. I thought there was going to be another world war breaking out between my family and my fiance's family over the name. My fiance is from Guatemala and I'm from Germany, but for the most part I was raised here in the US. We wanted to give our daughter a Spanish name for two reasons, one because it's part of who she is and two because I think they are beautiful names. Well we told my family some our our ideas, we had American or German middle names picked out and my family flipped out "why does she have to have a mexican first name" this bothered be because my fiance is not even mexican...he's Guatemalan. They were throwing fits and we said we were giving her an American or German middle name and they were like "why not have an American or German first name??" so we ended up settling on the name Vanessa Grace, Vanessa can be a spanish name and an english name. Well then his family didn't like Grace
    javila

Answer by javila at 11:33 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• cont. and it just kept going downhill from there. it was ridiculous. we've stuck to the name though despite the drama.
    javila

• lol...mom's are like that. My mom always has something to say about everything! She got to choose your name, now it's your turn to choose your child's name. She has no say as to what you name your child. A name is just a name....
    GinaPetty

Answer by GinaPetty at 11:59 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Just curious, but what is a Mexican name? Do you mean a latin name?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Aug. 12, 2009