Can anyone help please my son is in a lot of pain

My oldest son is eight years old and about 3 months ago he was complaining about headaches, when I brought he to the doctor, they said that it is not unheard of for a child that age to have migrains and the since I have them (and apparently had them as a child for a short while) that it could be hereditary and that children that do have migraines usually grow out of them at least for a little while, usually until they reach their 20's. The doctor gave him some Ibuprofen and some Phenergan to take when he has a migraine. Well for a while that eased his pain and for a couple of weeks they stopped all together. Then about 2 weeks ago all of a sudden he fell to the floor grasping his head and stomach, crying and throwing up. I called the doctor and she sat up an appointment. They said that the vomitting is pain induced, and we have ruled out the migraines (which are now far worse all of a sudden) being caused by allergys, certain

stephanie7325

Asked by stephanie7325 at 11:10 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Health

• Get him checked out by an eye doctor as well as his pediatrician. Is he sensitive to bright lights? Eye doctors catch about 80% of all migraine/brain related problems bc the eyes show symptoms first. Good luck with the little man and I hope he feels better soon!!!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 11:12 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• go to a second oppinion if one dr. can't find it maybe another can, my cousin had bad migrains for a while and she ended up having a tumer in her brain they took it out and she's fine and healthy now, but go see another dr. get some test done, I didn't mean to scare you if I did, but good luck!
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 11:14 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• i WOULD DEMAND A CAT SCAN OR MRI..DOCTORS SOMETIMES ARE NOT CAUTIOUS ENOUGH! HE MIGHT HAVE SOMETHING SERIOUS THAT YOU CAN FIX RIGHT AWAY! OR IT COULD BE FROM ALLERGIES BUT NOT FALLING TO THE GROUND THE POOR THING! THAT IS NOT NORMAL..GET A SECOND OPINION AND DEMAND TO GET IT CHECKED OUT!!

jOSIE
    CERTIFIED SKIN ANALYST AND MAKE UP CONSULTANT
    WWW.JSURIANO1.QBEAUTYZONE.COM
    josie726

Answer by josie726 at 11:17 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I started getting horrible headaches at that age. I went through several rounds of neurological tests, hospital stays, drugs with horrid side effects, etc. I came across a newspaper article about the (then) recently discovered link between food and migraines.
    I strongly recommend that you son keep a food diary; you may want to try an elimination diet, too. Some of the common migraine triggers are: yeast, chocolate, vinegar, nuts, and nitrates.
    Feel free to contact me directly, if you have any questions.
    Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 11:31 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• My youngest brother had migraines at that age and they were so bad he would collapse and vomit also. My mom found what helped was to monitor his food- there are certain foods that can trigger them. Also too much tv or video games can visually stimulate the part of the brain that cause migraines. It never failed that he would have one after playing alot of playstation. It was really hard for him. He got to the point when he could tell one was coming on and my mom would give him tylenol allergy (I'm not sure why that one worked best for him, but it did) and he would lay down in a dark room til it passed. He's now 16 and still has them every once in a while but they are much better.
    My parents had him go through all the CTs and test to make sure it wasn't something else, so you may want to do that to be rest assured. I'm just letting you know that my brother had the same thing happen so you know that it's common. (HUGS)
    Lyndsey26

Answer by Lyndsey26 at 12:00 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• i agree with the other ladies. i would definately get a second opinion. it probably wouldn't hurt either to see an eye doctor, and make sure it isn't triggered by food. everyone so far has made excelent suggestions, and i can't think of anything helpful to add. just wanted to let you know i'm thinking of you and i'm sorry.
    Rachel_May

Answer by Rachel_May at 1:00 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I agree with the others, second opinion, has been tested for allergies? I hope he gets better! Poor lil guy!
    getupsteph

Answer by getupsteph at 2:25 PM on Aug. 12, 2009