Temper Tantrums!!!

My son just turned two in June, so he throws tantrums constantly. My concern is that he's become violent. Its not constant only when he throws a tantrum or doesn't get his way. I wanted to know if it was normal for him to become violent when he's mad. I'm thinking that its mainly b/c he doesnt know how to express his feelings, but if its not then i would want to get him some kind of help... anything. Any suggestions on what i should do?.

Thanks

miya07

Asked by miya07 at 11:43 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try not to give him what he wants when he is violent. If my sons throw a tantrum (he'll be two in Feb. He has starting early) I ignore him. The minute he gets quiet I look at him and start to use the words he just doesn't know how to use yet. "You must be very tired. You are hungry. You want that toy." The worst is when we are at a store. I don't want to give in to him, but I don't want to have everyone looking at us thinking I'm a horrible mother.
    jillybean6781

Answer by jillybean6781 at 12:02 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• your son sounds normal to me, the problem may be your not following through find be consistant and the biggest secret is ignore certain things and also FOLLOW through it's the hardest thing to do but be consistant. Take him to his room say when your ready to listen you may come out.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 12:14 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I have a 3 year old and we have been doing this since the tantrums began: ask him if he is angry/tired, etc. Usually my son stopped right away ans we talk about why he is angry/tired, etc. Works *almost* every time!
    afbelle021

Answer by afbelle021 at 3:39 PM on Aug. 12, 2009