Ok I have posted on a general florida discussion group, and I guess no one ever goes to that group because I have no replies. I am looking to move my family to Florida, but trying to figure out the best area to raise a family. I would like to stay at the top part of the state, but if there is a better palce to raise a family would look into that. Any ideas, advice?

Gcoats

Asked by Gcoats at 11:58 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Clearwater is a great place.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Contact the local police stations and ask them what their crime rates are. Many people moving in to new areas are unaware that kind of information is available to them. Better to find out now what you may be moving in to before you move there and find out it's not as great as you thought.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 12:01 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Jacksonville is a nice area so is the panhandle. just make sure you pack your umbrellas with you when you move

mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 12:02 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I live in the panhandle near Pensacola. Florida has one of the worst school systems of all the states. I cheated my kids out of a good education in public schools here bc this county was advertised to be one of the best in FL. So that means even the best in FL sucks. In our area the military is catered to and retirement folks are catered to but no money seems to be set aside for kids so they can stay out of trouble which means lots of kids get bored and in trouble. FL is one of the first to charge kids as adults for stupid crap so if your kids have a tendency to get in trouble, this is not the place to come. We have fire ants and red tide (not good if you or kids have respiratory problems) not to mention heat that prohibits folks from leaving the house many days in summer. Wages suck. In our area you need 2 incomes at a minimum. Cost of living is not balanced (rent high, wages low). On the good side, winters are great

Answer by admckenzie at 12:11 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Yes winters are great for like the 2 weeks that it lasts. I used to Live in Rockledge FL, near Cocoa beach, but we moved about 3 years ago when I was pregnant with my daughter. I don't think its a great place for kids, too much stuff going on and I see way to many kids getting into trouble. Good luck though
    tdoubleday04

Answer by tdoubleday04 at 2:10 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• No matter where you move there will be good and bad areas, you just have to teach your children that the "bad" areas are where they don't want to hang out, cause they are more likely to get subjected to drugs, etc.
    ChirpyLuv

Answer by ChirpyLuv at 4:36 PM on Aug. 12, 2009