HOW WOULD YOU REACT?

IF YOU SAW SOMEONE BEING DISCRIMANTED UPON AND HARRASSED MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY BECAUSE OF SEXUAL PREFERENCE. EVEN IF YOU ARE AGAINST THE LIFESTYLE BECAUSE OF RELIGIOUS REASONS, WOULD YOU STAND UP AND DEFEND THEM? OR WOULD YOU WALK AWAY AND DO NOTHING? WOULD THE COMPASSION IN YOU TAKE OVER OR WOULD YOUR RELIGIOUS CONVICTIONS STAND IN THE WAY TO HELP?

Asked by older at 12:02 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • I would stand up for the person being harassed. I always do.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I have seen it. I had many Gay friends when I was younger and at times "Gay" relationships myself. I never understood the hate! And have never been one to sit and take any discrimination even if it's not aimed at me! Standing up for them is the very least I can do... More than a few times it got physical... Never bothered me, I don't run from anyone! And I will not allow that kind (or any kind) of discrimination while I'm around!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:10 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Its really tricky, and a touchy subject for most.
    Most just don't want to get involved.
    Honestly, I would do something even if it was me calling the cops reporting the incident.
    If my child was not with me, (i wouldn't put her in jeopardy) absolutely I would intervene.
    I have done it before, my martial arts instructor, and I were driving one day and saw some poor kid getting the crap kicked out of him by six other guys, and we pulled the car over and jumped out, he went right after them, I grabbed the bat I keep in my car and went right after them as well.
    Smartest decision, probably not, but I felt it was right.
    However my religious conviction would not stop me from standing up for ANYONE.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 12:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I would kick someone's ass if they ever dared to harass someone in front of me, especially a gay person or someone with special needs.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:21 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• There are certain people I do tend to defend more than others and gay people happen to fall into that catagory.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 12:26 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I would defend them. You can defend a person who is being harmed without defending anything they've done that you don't agree with.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:32 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Putting your religion into this situation would make you stand up for them even more (I think). I say this because no ONE SIN IS GREATER THAN ANOTHER. I'm a Christian and like to think of what Jesus would do in a situation. If a "gay" was being harassed in front of Jesus...do you think he would sit there and let it happen? I don't think he would. I may be scared to physically get involed, but I would at least call the cops, or if hubby was with me, I'd send him out to help (though that wouldn't be a force, cause he would make me stop dead in my tracks to help out anyway). Just because someone lives a life of that kind of sin, doesn't mean that God loves them less...everyone sins, and God loves us all the same.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• If I could and was in the position to speak up, then I would. I dont care WHY someone is being discriminated against. It doesnt make it right. I hate that term reverse discrimination. Theres no such thing as RD. Its just discrimination, no matter who its against. So, yes, I would stand up for someone who was being treated unfairly...regardless of why or what I feel about it.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Stand up for them.
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 1:11 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• There's no way I could not say something. If I saw someone insulting anyone, no matter how they are "different" I would have to say something or I wouldn't be able to look at myself in the mirror.

Regardless of how someone may disagree with someone, there's never any reason to be mean or nasty about it.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:17 PM on Aug. 12, 2009