Big baby- so start solids sooner????

My son is 4 months and weighs about 19-20 pounds he eats every 2 hours he eats cereal the Dr had me start him on it and 3 months and 1 week. He is always hungry He drinks 5 oz of formula normally sometimes he will drink 8-11 oz.Crazy I know. Should I try to give him mushed fruit or baby food? Or wait til he is 6 months??

ktinaza

Asked by ktinaza at 12:03 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He's eating cereal, he's already eating solids.

However, there is no more need for baby food and cereal early for him than for any other baby. I had three big babies....all over 20lbs at 6 months. We did start at 4 months with cereal and baby food, but we didn't need to.

Mine took 8oz every 2 hours at 4 months...even after starting "solids". They didn't slow down until they started eating table foods at 6 months and were totally on table foods by 9 months. At this point they were down to 32oz per day. Down from 50.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:21 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• If he is eating the cereal really well I wouldn't see why you cant start him on solids. Just try him on something that is stage one and see how he reacts. If he eats it without spitting it out everywhere and actually starts swallowing it then continue if not just keep him on the cereal.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 12:09 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I'm not sure how much more filling 'real' food would be... but if you do start make sure that you start with one food at a time. Try the same food for 3 days before adding another. Just to make it easier to recognize an allergy should he have one.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:26 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I started mine on cereal at 4 months, and started introducing other foods a week or two later, and he's not a big baby - right now he's 17.5 lbs at 9 months. I don't think it will make a difference, but you could try it.

Answer by missanc at 12:37 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I was actually really happy to read this question.
    My daughter is going to be 4 months old on Thursday, and I was even wondering about cereal.

Some people act like you have three heads if you even mention cereal before 6 months.

She isn't super heavy, but she is tall! And I think she is going to be like her mommy, and have a metabolim like a humming bird. But she sounds a lot like your son Ktinaza.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 12:51 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I started cereal at 4 months. Now at 5 1/2 months I give her sweet potatos too. She loves them.
    Don't worry about what other people say, it's fine. Just take it slow, and give small portions.
    good luck mama
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 1:12 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• If he's on cereal, he's on solids. There is a calculator somewhere about how much formula to give, and it's based on body weight. Honestly, though, people say "big babies need solids earlier" and then they say "small babies need them to fatten them up." Solids are recommended around the middle of the first year, and right now the AAP is saying six months.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I think we had started my daughter on cereal around 5 months, she was a little baby, granted she's still small. At her 15 month check up she was 31 inches and 21 lbs.. she's almost 18 months now and not sure what she's at for height/weight.

Currently due to have my 2nd on the 21st, think we will hold off on solids till 6 months.. while my daughter loved the baby food, she has become such a picky eater now >< so we are going to try a different approach with the second :)

But. if he is taking the cereal good, then I don't see why you can't start stage 1 foods, try veggies first :) and like the others said, give it 3 days before you introduce something new, in case of allergies.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 1:39 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Your doctor is full of crap, frankly. Regardless of how big your baby is, or how often he eats (you could check if you are OVERfeeding him), solids and cereals should wait until 6 months for all babies. It's because their intestinal walls have open spaces that allow immunity from breastmilk to flow through, but leaves them susceptible to allergens passing through the spaces as well. The closing of the gut occurs between 4-6 months, but there is NO way to tell when that has occurred, so all moms should be waiting the minimum of 6 months.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 3:02 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I just feed him when he is hungry and that's all so I don't think that would be over feeding he was big when he was born so he is just a bigger baby my side has big babies. I don't really know what you mean about the gut thing. So if you feed them like peas before their gut closes they will be more likely to be allergic to peas??? I fed him a mushed up banana like 3 bites so that mean he might be allergic to bananas now?? My first baby so just taking Dr.'s advice that's all I have. So that's why I'm double checking on here too. But let me know what you mean.
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 3:43 PM on Aug. 12, 2009