Do schools have the responsibility to investigate whether or not the student has someone waiting for him at home after school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I live in Connecticut and I work for the school system ,when a child ends the day and is put in a bus, the child then becomes that school bus' company  "responsibility" till that child gets home safe, if the child is in 3- 4th grade the bus driver must make sure that  atleast  the front door of the home is open and the child entered the house; if the child is  pre-K -3rd there has to be a person in sight before he is let out of the bus,if there is no one around ,bus brings child back to school and child becomes school responsibility again and if this happens too frequently then the state gets involved.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• No
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• No, but I'm sure most teachers would ask questions if they suspected a problem with a very young elementary school child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• No they don't, do you know how many latch key kids we have in this country, as long as the kid can call 911, fix them something to eat etc..CPS will not do anything, some states have laws at what age a child can be home alone after school while others do not. Sometimes children come home and a next door neighbor keeps an eye on things... My kids are not latch key kids, but alot are because some parents cant afford daycare or after school programs, paying the bills is hard enough.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• the way my school works is they take the bus home, or have a person that picks them up....once they leave the bus or with the person they are no longer the schools responsibility..
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 12:16 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• If the school believes there are issues at the home and the child is exhibiting signs of abuse or neglect in the classroom then yes they can. Schools have been known to call CPS, for the well being of the child of course, to make certain that child has the best environment possible so they can be their best in the classroom.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• No, they never have. This is how my mother got away with disappearing for days at a time and nobody knew or even cared if they suspected. My sister was left in charge. Shw was 10 I was 7 little brother 4 and baby sister not even 1 yr when it started.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• According to my state's laws, yes. School employees are mandated by state law to report neglect or absue to CPS. And having a child under 11 home alone is considered neglect by state law. So if a school employee were to find out that a child under age 11 were going home alone in the afternoon, they would be obligated by law to report it.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:22 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• No.

It may be their responsibility (in some places) to report an instance of a young child being home along if they know about it --- but they are under no obligation to "investigate" whether or not it is so.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:30 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• riotgrrl is wrong. If they know the child is going home alone then they have to report it. They are not obligated to follow each child home and walk them to the door to see if someone is home
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Aug. 12, 2009