I found out yesterday I am anemic and have to get my iron up before delivery. I agreed to take a supplement but is it possible to raise it significantly just by what I eat?

I have about 10 weeks o raise it from a 9.4 to 11+. I hate iron supplements they give me all kinds of stomach problems.

MommyKKay

Asked by MommyKKay at 12:18 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I second the Floradix and/or Liquid Chlorophyll.

Just to warn you though, don't take the largest does of Liquid Chlorophyll right away. Start with the 1 Tbsp dose. It keeps you regular with soft stools, so give your body a chance to adjust.

Whenever you eat a food high in iron, couple it with Vitamin C.

Iron pills are terribly constipating and hardly get absorbed.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:56 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Maybe you could do it. If you change half of your diet to spinach.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• The suggestions I got to improve my iron were to eat iron rich foods like lean meats (beef, turkey etc), seafood (mussels, tuna, salmon etc), basically any kind of beans (soy, kidney etc), any kind of dark green (spinach is my fav), and nuts and veggies (asparagus, brussel sprouts etc). You can easily google for more options. You will also need to eat vitamin C as it helps you absorb iron.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:25 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Eat iron rich foods and take an iron supplement with orange juice...this is what my doc told me to do.
    GinaPetty

Answer by GinaPetty at 12:26 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Spinach, I like canned with lemon and butter. It shouldn't make you constipated like iron pills either. You could do fresh, it' sprobably better, maybe in salad or soup. Google it, search for food high in iron. Nevermind I did it for you, there is a list at the bottom of this page:

http://www.bloodbook.com/iron-foods.html

Looks like liver is your best bet, liverworst from the deli isn't too bad with mayo on it. I don't know if it's the same but...it's liver(i think?)
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 12:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Try Floradix, it is so gentle, strong, and effective!! It costs a little bit, but is really worth it! :-)

Also, blackstrap molasses, liquid chlorophyll, and using an iron skillet to cook on...

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:29 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I've been taking an iron supplement with orange juice and I haven't been constipated. That was one of my concerns also....but everything's been alright!
    GinaPetty

Answer by GinaPetty at 12:30 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• i was also put on an iron supplement and it makes me very sick so i started eating more salmon and dark green veggies and my doctor also told me to eat a bowl of multi grain cheerios every day or total cereal and within two weeks of doing that my iron is back up where it needs to be if you continue to take the supplement make sure you take it with juice being that juice helps it to dissolve
    TaiZombie

Answer by TaiZombie at 1:27 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I was anemic with my first and took about a weeks worth of the iron pills before I just couldn't take them anymore. Thankfully that worked but they really made me sick. :(
    brokenmelody

Answer by brokenmelody at 1:34 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• IM 30 WEEKS and mine is at 8.7 i take iron pills and eat lots of food with iron i have about 10 weeks also to get it up you should try to take the iron pills if u really cant ask for another kind and eat looks of food with iron and careful cause some foods stops the intake of iron .....best of luck to you !
    rissa1789

Answer by rissa1789 at 4:50 PM on Aug. 12, 2009