Sex offender notification....

I work in a retail store. the store recently hired an outside company to do our cleaning. today i got notification from the state (you have to sign up for these notices) that one of the men doing our cleaning is a sex offender w/3 offenses in the 90's. One for a 1-11 y/o, a 12-15 yo and rape. My problem is I don't want to stir up trouble for this guy but I feel that the employees need to know, and even since we have small children shopping in the store as well. Would you bring it up to management? My feeling is if I know and I don't say anything and something happens to an employee or a customer then I would feel I should have said something. Our company may not even know of his past since he didn't have to go thru our hiring system. I feel he still has the right to work but I feel I shouldn't be scared at work either!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would let it go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I would mention it to management. They may already know and if not they should. The outside company he works for is sure to know. Most company's require back ground checks these days. If that company doesn' then I think he has to still say on the app if he is a registered sex offender. Especially if it was a felony offense.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:47 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• let management know
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Heck ya I would bring it up what if he did something to a child in the store. You would prob feel some what bad that you may have been able to keep that guy out of your store and away from those children.
    Gcoats

Answer by Gcoats at 12:50 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I'm guessing that those young children are not running around unaccompanied in your store. Unless the working conditions would leave someone in a potentially dangerous situation eg. being left alone with him in a private area, I would not say anything. If your co-workers might find themselves in such a situation, I would probably tell them so that they can be more aware. Other than that, no.

With 3 kids of varying ages, I'm wondering if they were children he knew. On the whole, I'm thinking that the cleaning crew of a retail store does not come into contact with the general public and would probably leave him with few chances for reoffending. Law Enforcement would be aware of his occupation, and his employers would be aware of his prior offenses.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I would inform management and let them decided. Most states do not allow sex offenders to work near children (when the offense was commented against a child) He may not be allowed to work there. My father is a sex offender (abused my sister and I) and once he is out of jail, he is not allowed within so many feet of a school, playground, things were children always are. Look up the laws in your state and go from there.

clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 1:04 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• If he filled out his app. he should have disclosed this as it is the law. I would bring it up to management.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 1:07 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• No, MOST of the kids don't run unattended in the store (although some parents don't watch their kids very well). Like I said, i don't want to stir up trouble with this guy, i don't want to have him fired, i just feel the company needs to know. this man cleans our bathrooms as well as the dressing rooms.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• That's what I mean: you are the one that knows the working environment. You know whether he works only after hours or during store hours. Are there security cameras covering most locations? You know whether he will be cleaning while others are nearby and are likely to be alone. If you feel that people will be put in an unsafe position, say something so that they can be aware. But bare in mind that some people might take that information and wish the man harm.

I'd imagine it is the workers that would be most 'at risk' as even lone shoppers tend to be observed when they are in a store, even if only to make sure that they are not stealing. If he is targeting kids, I'd imagine he'd get more opportunities when he is not working.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• bear not bare
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Aug. 12, 2009