any suggestions how i can get my 3 yr old interested in potty training?!

he turned 3 in may and has NO desire to potty outside of the diaper! my oldest is 10 and was nothing like this so i am at a bit of a loss...

richgurl

Asked by richgurl at 9:24 AM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter went to on the potty Because I told her she couldn't go to school or ride the school bus unless she used the potty...She really admires the kids who go to school and ride the bus..So that worked for her... My nephew didn't want to go either then his mama let him pee out side on trees and bushes... That what got him started...But if you live in a city thats probably not a good idea..:o)
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 9:34 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• try taking him into the bathroom with you and show him how much fun it can be how quick it is to go on the potty rather then sit wait with grose diaper then wait get changed and thennnnn go back to playing. stickers and other rewards for going not food treats just things he finds super fun to do. brag every time the older brother goes most kids try to be like there bigger brother or dad or for extream measures while its summer let him run around in just his undies no pullup no diaper nothing he'll get the hint
    snuggleup

Answer by snuggleup at 9:35 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• ALSO... My girl would pee in the pull up every time if she was weraing one..I would also try going a day without the diaper\pull up see what happens..just keep reminding him he has to go
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 9:36 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Time takes care of everything. I know you don't want to hear that. My youngest was so stubborn on this subject. We stayed home a lot during his potty training so we could let him run naked. It eventually cliked and haven't had a problem since. Just stick it out. We also had rewards for milestones. Big boy underwear of their choice was the reward for not having any accidents for a week.
    wilbursdaughter

Answer by wilbursdaughter at 11:01 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I did the going outside and letting them pee on the trees or something. They loved it! Then I moved into the bathroom once they got use to going outside. When they used the toilet I would reward them with their favorite snack! My 2 year old we are working with him right now and he LOVES it when you make a big deal out of it when he uses the toilet. Good luck!
    rbade

Answer by rbade at 11:10 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• i put my son in underwear about amonth ago. the first day was rough, but he totally had it down the next day and hasn't had an accident since! i also told him he couldn't go to nursery school unless he was potty trained. hopefully he will just get the idea. oh, and let him pick the underwear he wants to wear. then he will be excited about it!
    CelticMomma79

Answer by CelticMomma79 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• At 3 it isn't a matter of being interested. It is a matter of knowing how. My oldest was easy - my youngest was hrd - it took forever and just last week my hubby said "take away those stupid pull ups, they are hindering him." I made him wear unders and he only had 2 accidents.
    Bentyswife

Answer by Bentyswife at 2:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2008