When You See a "Co-exist" Bumpersticker, Do You Know What it Means?

I am reading a thread on another site in response to a video a pastor made about the co-exist sticker. The majority of Christians responding to the video are angry at the sticker (yes, anger AT a STICKER). The pastor has told them that we cannot co-exist with other religions because other religions are not true like the Bible is true. Despite me chiming in that co-existing has nothing to do with accepting the beliefs of others as "truth," everyone is still on the "we hate this sticker" bandwagon.

Does anyone else realise that this isn't the point of the sticker and do you understand what the actual point is? If you are offended by the sticker, can you tell me why?

I don't know, I guess I'm just getting tired of fellow Christians coming up for reasons to be at odds with absolutely everything for goodness sakes. You can disagree, you can refuse to put it on your car but do we have to officially taboo EVERYTHING?

NovemberLove

Asked by NovemberLove at 12:40 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It doesn't bother me at all. But I wouldn't personally use it, because of one reason. While I do believe that all people should coexist in peace and get along no matter what faith they are, and that we should all have the freedoms to practice whatever faith we want. I feel like I would be a hypocrite by using it.

Not that I don't believe what it stands for "coexistance" but that I believe that there is only one way to God. I don't mind that people want to choose a different way, but I feel like I would be the one who is a jerk, by thinking that I am the only one who is right.

I don't know if I make sense? If I really believed in the message of that sticker then what would someone say if they saw me sharing my faith with someone of another religion and praying that God would draw them to Jesus!!! Wouldn't the fact that I evangelize people and tell them they need Jesus, kind of contradict the message? LOL : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:33 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• whenever I see them I think of it as respecting each others views. It doesn't make me angry, I think more people need to show respect instead of hate for religious views.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I agree with anon... To each thier own... If people respected others this world would be a much better place. Religion doesn't separate us, stupidity does.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 12:49 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I ve never given it enough thought to feel anything about it. Im not likely to go put it on my car, but thats not unusual for me. I dont like bumperstickers.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:55 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Hahaha. I thought they were talking about ALIENS from other planets! Thanks for explaining. BTW, I am Christian, and I am not offended or upset by it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I LOVE Co-exist bumper stickers. I always want to write a thank you note and post it on the person's windshield! Really all the sticker is saying is "Even though I may not agree with your views I respect your right to believe differently"
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• momofsaee, I don't put stickers on my car either lol. I need all the resale value I can get for when I trade them in lol.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:02 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• As long as you don't put the stickers on the actual paint job of the car they're easily removed. I have 2 stickers one is on the corner of my rear windshield. The other is on the bumper. Easily removable and little/no damage.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:09 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I have never put a bumper sticker on my car until I saw the "Coexist" ones. I now display it proudly on my back window. The word "Coexist" is made up of all different symbols from various world religions, and to me it just means that no matter what your faith we all must live together on this one planet in peace. As I once heard, "There are no religions in Heaven." Meaning that if you believe in Heaven and that you will one day go there, there will be no difference between a Christian or a Jewish person. We will all just "Coexist".
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 1:21 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I love the stickers (I'd love to find a cute one to put on our rear windshield), and yes, I agree with the others: they mean merely that regardless of religious differences we should all strive to at least get along with each other (to coexist) as peacefully as we can.

Its not saying you can't disagree with what someone believes, or that you can't believe however you want, its just saying others should be able to believe as they please, pleading for people not to persecute others for their beliefs, asking "why can't we all just get along?"
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:22 PM on Aug. 12, 2009