If my dh [God forbid] were to die tomorrow...Would I be responsible for the credit card debt?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• OP, you will be responsible for everything held jointly. Any assets you hold jointly can be used by creditors to satisfy the debts of the estate. That is what makes you responsible. There may be some slight variations from state to state.

You do need some life insurance though. Term life policies are very affordable and well worth the dollars spent. You might have access to a super low cost or even employer paid policy at work.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:24 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• you are married so therfore it's your debt too.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:46 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I think so. You're married.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:46 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• You are married so therefore it is your debt too.
    Jademom07

• Yes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Ummmmm...yes!!! As a married couple each of you assumes the others debts. Which is why you should have life insurance policies that would cover you to the degree of your debts/lifestyle, and expected care of minor children should EITHER of you die.

My husband and I each have policies in excess of $1 million dollars on each other--in order for the survivor to be able to continue to care for children, pay our bills/mortgage, and not have to worry about working until everything "settles down!"
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:47 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Most likely. there are a few circumstance where you might not be held responsible, but if you are talking about a joint credit card then the answer would be definitely.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Yes and they can come after his estate for the money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Yes, since you are married you inherit the debt. Does your husband have life insurance? Do you? These would be good things to consider to make sure that if something tragic does happen, the other is protected from being overwhelmed with debt and other financial responsibilities.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 12:49 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Not only are you responsible to pay off his debt, but if a parent dies, the children who are alive have to pay off any debt the parent left behind. That is what life insurance is for! We each have 1.5million policies. He doesn't want me to have to work, because I have been and will be a SAHM, and I dont want him to have to worry about who is going to care for the kids, so he can hirer a live in nanny! (Who I would hope he liked enough to settle down with, so my children wouldn;t have a bunch of care givers)

clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 12:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2009