Why is she behaving like this??

My DD is 8 months old. She's never really had any baby friends her age. They are all months older than her or months younger! She is right in the middle! But we met a couple that have a cute little 6 month old that is doing almost the same things as my DD. The first night they came over, DD would start screaming and crying everytime the other little girl would look at her & smile! So my DD was crying for no reason! The other little girl was being so sweet & trying to play with DD. So we thought we'd give it another shot lastnight. DD acted the same way! Everytime the little girl would look at her DD would cry! & she even pushed the little girl down from DDs walker! Why is she being so mean & crying? She is usually a VERY sweet baby to adults and older kids! I don't understand it!

wishwish

Asked by wishwish at 12:50 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's a phase. Sometimes children are weirded out by other babies, especially if they're not exposed to other children. I don't think it has anything to do with competition. I don't think they even have the cognitive ability to process those kinds of thoughts. Your child needs to know that she is safe. When she gets upset just tend to her and don't rush interactions if she's obviously not enjoying it. There is nothing wrong with your child. She'll learn soon enough that the other little girl isn't going to hurt her and she'll soon feel safe around her. I wouldn't worry about it. =)
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 3:41 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• competetition maybe/
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:54 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• maybe she saw her from another life and the younger girl was hurting her. who knows why little ones do what they do? When she can talk, ask her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• i'd agree, if that baby is doing the same things as your baby is, she probably feels threatened by her. or she just doesn't like the little girl for some reason, kids make decisions like that before they even know the person, they either love you or hate you, theres not really an in-between til later.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:00 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Jealously, territory, who knows! I know that one thing, that when my oldest was born, my cousin brought her then 8 month old baby girl over and every time that my cousin would hold my newborn, her 8 month old would have a royal fit! Her very blue eyes, would just get HUGE and she would scream and try to throw things! We thought it was funny, she must have thought she was loosing her mom! They are 4 and 5 now and pretty good buddies now, so it was just a phase!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 1:19 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Is there anything I can maybe do to help my DD get past this phase?
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 2:21 PM on Aug. 12, 2009