Early Intervention Battelle test doubts

My son is 21 months and just went through his Early Intervention evaluation. He is going to start speech and occupational therapy for what they believe is Sensory Processing Disorder. He will say a few words here and there, but not the 50-60 his Ped. says he should be saying. Has anyone felt doubtful after the Early Intervention Battelle test? My son is very active and since he wanted to run around the new room with the new toys he's seen for the first time more than he wanted to play games and interact with perfect strangers they failed him in several areas. For instance they tried to get him to work on a puzzle or play with a certain toy. He either wasn't interested or didn't do it they way they wanted him to, he wanted to run around. I know he is behind in speech and active, but I just am not convinced he's as far behind as they've made him out to be in other areas. Has anyone else felt this way after the evaluation

Adamanda

Asked by Adamanda at 1:04 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Your son is not behind at all. I don't even know what kind of test that is, my son has never taken it. Your son will talk when he's ready.....those people don't know anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• If you doubt the results get a second opinion...you are his mom and you know him best. Ask his pediatrician or call your mental health number for insurance they should be able to direct you to another doctor for an evaluation.
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 1:07 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Our pediatrician didn't expect that many words until closer to two. Language explosion does not usually hit until 22 months on average, so I think it is way too early to tell if your son is really behind on speech. I wouldn't put much weight on their observations at this point, but ,hey, the extra help with speech shouldn't hurt anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I am the original poster, had more to say... Well, since he didn't want to listen to them and do what they said, they said his "reception communication" was at a 7 month old's level. To me, that sounds like a typical kids reaction. He had a big tag on his shirt that was sticking out and it was bothering him. They were all like, oh, it must be sensory processing disorder. The tag would have bothered me to! They had steps with handrails like a little bridge that he was wanting to go up and over more than anything else. He kept missing the bottom step and they're like, oh, he's not aware of his body, its sensory processing disorder. Mind you I've never even let him go up and down steps alone, that was his FIRST try alone! They had colored hooks on the wall, he went to the yellow one and said "yewow", but that apparently didn't count for anything...I just don't know what to think. Is this diagnosys true or an I in denial?
    Adamanda

Answer by Adamanda at 1:22 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I don't get why people are so anti Early Intervention. "those people don't know anything" how do you know anything about what they do or don't know? They are significantly more educated about child development than you probably ever will be.

There are times when I have thought my daughter's evaluations weren't correct. She's been in therapy for almost three years now, and has seen many different therapists because we have moved several times. Her latest speech therapist placed her higher than she is because she guessed the right pictures many times. Other times I have felt that she was doing better than they evaluated, but as long as she keeps getting services, I don't mind. Therapy will NOT hurt your child, so there's no harm in a slightly incorrect eval. They will get to know your child and reevaluate as necessary.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:22 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• That's a bunch of BS!! I wouldn't listen to a thing they say! Your the mom and you know if something's wrong with your child and nothing is wrong with him!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• oh that's too bad. was it only from his speech they had him sent to Early Intervention ? I don't even remember my ped asking how many words my son could say!!! My son doesn't like tags on his shirt either somedays. I don't know. that's hard. I agree no therapy will really hurt but why treat a child who doesn't NEED it either?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:49 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• We were recommended to go to Early Intervention solely based on his speech.
    Adamanda

Answer by Adamanda at 1:52 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• No, no no. When my son was first diagnosed with autism, I thought the same things "they were new toys," "it was new people - he didn't even know them," etc. It's called denial and you will go through it, just as you will go through all the processes of grieving. This is probably not what you want to hear, but it's true.
    But just for arguments sake, let's say they're wrong, dead wrong. Is it going to hurt him to have the extra therapy? No, it'll just help him catch up on the little bit you think he's behind. The people doing the EI will get to know him and have a better idea of where he is developmentally - it will only help your child, don't fight them on it.
    And don't think that your child's development defines who they are - he's so much more than just some diagnosis, enjoy him for who he is not what he does.

Answer by missanc at 1:56 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• If he does not have a problem, the therapy will not hurt. If he does have a problem, then early intervention is always best.
    My daughter was speaking in complete sentences by 18 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:46 PM on Aug. 12, 2009