Suggestions on writing a letter to the landlord...?

I found a place, now we need to get out of this lease. Lease is up the end of November but we are supposed to move to the new place sept. 15.

There is a nasty moldy hole in the bathroom ceiling, heat was shut off in the middle of winter so the baby got sick atleast 4 times from that(I can get his doctor records), when we went to sign the lease we asked for a 7 month but the lady signed us up for 12 and said if we want to leave after 7 we can talk about it(she doesn't even work here anymore).

The cold starts in october so I want to be out of here by then, the hole has been there for atleast 5 months and no one will fix it they always say "yes, ok, someone will be over to fix it" or " we will send someone tomorrow"(called atleast 10 times in the past 2 months and personally talked to maintenance about it a few times)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This is the hole in teh bathroom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• i'd take all the proof you have down to their office and tell them you are moving on such and such date (the picture there, any other pictures you have of things that need to be fixed) and when you say the power went out, was that through the fault of the landlord, or a storm or something like that? b/c you can't hold him responsible unless its in his name and he asked that it be off or didn't pay or something.
    if they argue and say they won't allow you to break the lease go talk to a lawyer.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:23 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• OMG. That is horrible. It sounds like my old landlord. She wouldn't fix ANYTHING. We had a gas leak and our toilets would constantly run. She didn't give me my deposit back b/c she said I left the place a mess. FIrst of all, when we moved in and had the lights turned on we noticed there was a HUGE playboy bunny drawn on the bathroom wall in permanent marker. The space under the kitchen sink was rotted away and when we were cleaning it our hand went through the wall all the way to the brick on the outside.
    Maybe you could talk to a lawyer and get some advice from them. I know I had sooo much trouble talking to my landlord about things that were wrong in the house. Good Luck
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 1:26 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• i would just inform them u need to leave due to heath reasons ( why was heat off. ) i was in a place that was good but was a 2 bedroom and when we got my dh's kids a 2 bedroom with 4 kids wasent working. i called managment and told them why we were moving and she was understanding but did say we would have to pay the 3 months rent if she couldnt rent it but would do her best. so when we moved out we cleaned, fresh apint and in 2 weeks she was able to rent out it was move in ready. yeah we lost sec deposit only got back 60.00 but we were shocked we got anything. if u can get it noted or recorded that u have asked to fix hole ( so they wont blame u ) certifide mail is good she has to sign to get it. stateing this is the 3rd time u have asked. get a news paper hold it up to the hole showing date on paper so if u end up in court they will see it was done before hand..good luck..
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 1:29 PM on Aug. 12, 2009