A dumb question for my witch friends.

Okay, this question is so dumb that I should just go anon, LOL. But I was thinking about gender roles in religion this morning, and I had a question.

I have always thought that witches are always women, and that men are wizards. LOL. I know, I got that from pop culture; you can laugh. haha.

So can men be witches? If they practice witchcraft what are they called? Sorcerers, warlocks, wizards, etc.

Oh, and do your husbands practice with you? Do you know of any men that practice? Are you the spiritual leader of the home?

Thank you for being kind, LOL : )

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 1:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Anyone that practices witchcraft is a witch. Male or Female!

A Socerer is usually an Alchemist, like Alistar Crowley. And again can be male or female although women would be a Sorceress. (A wizard would be the same as Sorcerer just a different name - Many times you will see the term Sorcerer used for those that do harm and Wizard for those that do good).

A Priest or Priestess is usually someone that has achieved at least 3 levels of witch. They have studied for at least 2-3 years and are considered the highest level although even they are always learning.

A Worlock is someone that can not be trusted. The term refers to those that "break oaths" or renig on promises. Because most witches strive to use their magick for good some will refer to those that use their magick for harm as Worlock. But this use is not totally correct either.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:34 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I thought they were called Warlocks. I'd be interested in hearing this too :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:32 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Yes, there are male witches, and no, they are not called warlocks. "Warlock" is an archaic derogatory term used by the witch hunters during "The Burning Times"—the era of persecution and execution on a massive scale of people who were accused and convicted of witchcraft—to describe male witches. Warlock actually means "oathbreaker." A male witch is properly referred to as a witch. http://www.electricwitch.com/chapter1.html#warlock
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• witches? I much prefer the term priestess such as has been used for many generations. male is priest, and remember the first rule of magic is KEEP IT SECRET!
    Anonymous

• Anyone--male or female--who practices witchcraft is a witch. My husband is fine with my practice, but doesn't actively practice. He has a talent for calling clouds to come in our direction and sometimes does that. In many covens there are priests and priestesses, both. I consider witchcraft an equal opportunity practice, but personally know more female witches than male ones (though I know they exist). One of my primary magic books (I use it a lot!!!) came from husband and wife practitioners.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:37 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Oh OK, than's anon, I didn't know that. There was some game someone I know used to play (I can't even remember now because it was so long ago) called "Witches and Warlocks." I think it was a computer game or something? I always thought that Warlock was the acceptable term from that. I never really knew.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:37 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Thank you guys so much. That really helped me out. I would really like to hear more of you share about your husbands role in your practices, too. So I hope I get more answers to the question.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:40 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Witches.
    My DH is Wiccan but I dont know if he'd call himself a witch or not LOL. He does perform some magick with me though so perhaps he is.

The men I know seem to be content to never discuss it or, when asked, to just say what they are and go on about their business. They dont feel the need to explain or proclaim or anything. They have their beliefs and thats that. LOL

My DH and I share responsibility for all parts of our household including spiritual matters.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:02 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• My dear this is not a "dumb" question! The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked!

Feel free to ask all the questions you want!

End Religious Intolerance and Ignorance

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:36 PM on Aug. 12, 2009