Question for those who live outside the U.S.

If your country uses the universal healthcare program. Please state what country you are from and the pro's and con's of it. I am really curious! Thanks so much.

madetobeamom

Asked by madetobeamom at 1:31 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 1 (-5 Credits)
  • Although this is an interesting question, unfortunately, the responses and experience of their UHC will all be different. Our administration is not controlling their healthcare programs, therefore it will not be the same.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 1:35 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Good point Bexi and I would like to add...Just look at social security ...going broke...medicaid..going broke....look at how the PO runs...the DMV and so on...can you still tell me it would be a wise idea to hand over our healthcare to the control of that same government?
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:38 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I think you all pretty much know that I am from England and that I support the UHC health care. It has worked great in England and my family still loves it including my elderly and sick grandfather. I love the fact that in England when you have a baby you do not need to leave your home to go see the pediatrician, he comes to you. Also a midwife makes weekly visits to check u and baby are healthy and are managing ok. My grandafther has anumber of health problems and never has to worry about transportation to the hospital for a check up or tests, they send someone for him or they will send a doc to his government funded assisted living flat which he pays nothing for because he is unable. I am very comfortable knowing he is being looked after over there by the health care system as I am not able to do so. I just wanted to give you my experience so please do not bash me. Do not harass me and please no stalkers.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 1:57 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Heard from foreign imports say to not be enticed by the trapping of the U.S. because it's not what it seems. They come to the U.S. for an education.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Population of UK....60,943,912

Population of US...304,059,724

I am thinking that's a pretty big difference.  I have been on Medicaid and WIC...between the extremely RUDE people you have to deal with, the multiple appts and the reams of personal info they have to have access too, PLUS to qualify you have to sign a piece of paper that says DHR can show up and check your house at any time, and ALL the paper work   X 304,059,724...omg

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:04 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Sorry...couldn't get the bold to go away!

What I wanted to say was that between all of that we chose to get off of the help even thogh we REALLY could have used it because it was easier, less stressful, and more productive...for us to make it on our own!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:10 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Obviously the population is bigger because the land is bigger. I understand your frustration with medicaid over here and whatever other assistance you needed. It ;however, is not comparable to the English system, the system in England is not something you have to sign up for it is a right from birth and it is given to everyone unless you choose private health care which is also available. The UHC is what is being compared, not medcaid.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 2:17 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Yep more good points of population of country.Also Australia is deffinitely much smaller in population too and from what I have heard they are in the process of TRYING to reverse their's.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:19 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• But thats how the gov't runs healthcare over here, so I am not sure what would be different. AND would they then be able to come in my house without just cause like they can when you are on PA? Just because they pay our HC. Whats the difference HERE between UHC and the way THIS gov't runs medicaid, medicare, ect.....I know thats against theOQ (sorry!) but if England runs it well thats great...but England isn't the US and so far the US gov't doesn't seem to be running HC well.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:25 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Also...the OQ failed to include...How do you PAY for it? What are your taxes like? Are the rich taxed ALOT more? What is the cost of living over in England? I don't think it's the same as here. England Eating and exercise habits, are they the same as here? You are on it from birth...so are NO illegals covered under ya'lls plan? I am not being ugly...i promise. I just feel like this question compares apples to oranges.
    momof030404