I have a 2 year old son and am looking at a One bedroom is this LEGAL??

The reason I am questioning is because my son's father is making an issue of it. Considerably where i am living a 1 bedroom is a lot cheaper. My son could take the bedroom and I could the living room, kwim? I already called Legal Services and left a message with them, I can't afford to call my lawyer.

Just curious. I live in Pennsylvania.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Ok I think he is thinking of housing assistance. If you apply for public housing and you have a boy and a girl, they would want to put you in a 3 bedroom house because to them, boys and girls shouldn't be sharing a room. If you had 2 girls, then they would put you in a 2 bedroom. But I'm assuming you aren't applying for public housing. You're looking for a regular apartment right? Then it is fine. If there were 3 of you, the manager would tell you ,at least in my experience, you need to apply for a 2 bedroom because there can't be more then 2 people in one bedroom but gender doesn't come into play here. Since there is only 2 of you, there would no problem with you applying for a one bedroom. Tell your son's father to do his research!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• It's a roof over your head, how in the world could it be illegal??????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• So the moms that have to be in shelters because of their family situation are doing something illegal? I find this to be a very unrealistic question, who cares if it's a studio or a 12 bedroom home, it's a place to live.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• YES IT IS LEGAL LOOK UP HOW MUCH SQUARE FOOTAGE PER PEOPLE IN APTS ALLOWED.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Well I can't edit my question, but my family & friends say this is fine but my sons' father said because my son is the opposite sex I should have a 2 bedroom if I had a daughter it wouldn't matter. Trust, me I do not see a problem with this at all, I mean I get changed in my bathroom, etc. But its' my son's father being a pain about this.

He said he doesn't want to see me get in trouble. I find this ridiculous and completey agree with everyone else.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• two ppl are allowed to be in a one bedroom; however, since one is a baby I'm not sure. Call Govt Housing. (section 8) They would know. They go strictly by those rules.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:39 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• my 2 sons sleeps in the living room just get a privacy wall curtain? or ge dressed in bathroom and do the best you can! Many do this. Look at poorer countries they all live in one bedroom
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• pls do not report on yourself and keep your ex out of your biz!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• That's exactly what I did when I was a single mom with my oldest son. He was a little younger and wouldn't sleep without me anyway, but it worked just fine for us and nobody had any issue with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• no its fine, i was in a 1 bedroom apt with my dd age 2 at the time. it was a decent size room she had her lil bed and i had mine. we shared a room. even befor that i stayed at my moms and me and dd shared a room. as long as its safe who cares. and no drugs of corse. let him take u to court they will only laugh and throw it out.. and wast his money. i wouldnt worry. the only time i know of a proublm is if u have 2 kids boy and girl at certin ages ( here in n.h i heard boy age 6 needs room of own not shareing with sister ) but 2 boys 2 girls its ok..again i wouldnt worry hun xo
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 1:43 PM on Aug. 12, 2009