Have you taken your child to the ER? Did you feel the situation was life threatening?

Did you ever feel silly for being there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• As far as life threatening- (this is an addition to what I wrote above- ran out of room)...
    1st trip- yes I thought it could be- for both kids
    2nd trip- not really, I was just worred b/c he was listless
    3rd trip- no, but the ball had to come out of his nose lol
    4th & 5th trips- not imminently life-threatening, but if I hadn't taken her in, both the ruptured appendix and the abscess could have killed her.
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 8:02 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I have taken my kids to the er all the time. my dd has asthma so yeah it is life threatening, and my son loves to fall and hurt himself and so he always has some sort of head bump or something that needs to be looked at. and Yes i am always made to feel silly being there especially when the "injury" turns out to be nothing
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 1:39 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• My husband was hospitalized for Meningitis and the doctor gave me signs to look for in our boys and if they showed any of the signs to take them to the ER immediately. I was extremely paranoid because the sickness was so serious. My 18 month old woke up around 5 am screaming and thrashing around on the bed. He wouldn't let me comfort him and that was one of the "signs" to look for. So I put him in the car and rushed to the ER. He was wearing footed pajamas. When we got to the room the nurse had me strip him down and I realized that his toenail was caught on a string and was pulling it back and it was bleeding. That was the cause of the thrashing. I felt so dumb. The nurse reassured me that I had reason to be paranoid but I still felt dumb.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I've had both - life threatening and not. I've taken my DD before when we thought she might have broken her leg and I've taken my son in for severe asthma attacks and an anaphylactic reaction.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 1:44 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• We have a really great pediatric urgent care that I usually use if I can't get into the doctor and I think they need immediate care. I have taken and it ended up being no big deal before. The doctors and nurses are always great and never make you feel stupid for bringing them in. I love it.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 1:46 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• OP here: I've taken my daughter to the ER three times. Twice she was admitted and once I never should have gone. The first time she was 10 months old and had pneumonia. The next time she had an incident during swim lessons and took in a lot of water. My worry wart parents convinced me to take her to the ER to ensure that she didn't have fluid in her lungs. She was in fact fine, and I felt ridiculous. The last time was a week ago, she had a seizure. She couldn't stay awake afterward, and I was scared to death. I thought she was going to fall asleep and not wake up.

I see so many people at the ER that really shouldn't be there though. One kid had been throwing up, when the nurse asked how long it had been happening, the mom said "about 45 minutes." During the 7 hours we were in the ER last week, there were so many possible strep throats and colds.. and all these people have insurance, they're military... seems silly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Yes I have and for some reason staff their has made me out to just me an "overprotective mother", my husband thinks that they are "desensitized".
    The reasons we have gone have been when my son who was a preemie and born with no lung function at all, after he was released from the nicu he started coughing or something with a fever we rushed him there and there and the Dr. treated us like we were a joke.
    We have come across a few good Dr.'s but for the most part they act like if they are not bleeding from an open head wound you are an idiot for bringing them in.
    sarahbrown1220

Answer by sarahbrown1220 at 1:47 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I have taken my oldest to the ER a couple of times. Never life-threatening, but requiring immediate medical attention. Twice for stitches and once for an ear infection that came on very suddenly on a Friday night and I was not making him wait until Monday AM to see the doc.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:48 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I have taken my child to the ER twice. Once when he was two weeks old and he rolled off the couch. I was convinced he had brain damage, Lol, I think I did more than he did. LOL. And the 2nd time was when he was 7 months old and got pneumonia. He ran a fever of 102 and I called the dr and they said take him to the ER so I did!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Yes.

No.

No, because they did need medical attention.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 2:00 PM on Aug. 12, 2009