Has your kid needed stitches yet?

So my 3 year old son woke up this morning and decided to cut up an orange for breakfast. Instead he ended up slicing thru his thumb, and needed 4 stitches to close it up.

I am actually pretty surprised that this was our first trip to get stitches, considering I have all boys, ages 3 and 5. They are very rough and tumble boys, but until now they have managed to avoid serious injuries. My husband has headed off to the hardware store to buy locks for the kitchen door. I think from now on I will leave out some small snacks they can grab in the morning, and lock up the kitchen before bed.

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 1:38 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have 3 sons and have only needed to go for stitches once(which suprises me too since mine are also pretty rough and tough LOL).

My oldest(who is 5)needed them when he was 17mths old. He climbed the counter, got out a veggie can from the trash and got his finger caught(never left them on again I tell ya)and sliced his finger. 5 stitches and lots of blood.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:48 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• You don't need to lock up the kitchen, just put the knives where the kids can't get them. Just teach the kids NOT to touch certain things. But, no my son has not had to have stitches and he is 13 yrs old. No broken bones either. 2 MRI's, a CT scan and numerous xrays for falls off his bike and ankle injuries (knock on wood).

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:50 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Lets see..lol..My oldest had stitche 9 times before he was 10 yrs old, only broke his wrist once, My youngest has never had stitches but had 6 broken bones (my adrenaline junkie). My granddaughter has had stitches twice and she is 6, Grandson 5, none yet...but I feel like I've spent half my life in Emergency rooms.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:52 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• tyfry: hey they can climb.. lol (put up the knifes).. lol you silly girl..

no stitches yet, but im bettin soon.. both boys im sure.. good luck mama..

put up the knifes... lol that still cracks me up..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 1:57 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• my 7 year old son has needed stitches 6 times, broken both of his wrists, 2 ribs, a foot, and sprained his ankle.. but those were all due to riding a dirtbike he races motocross.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Who said that my knives aren't put up? They get chairs and climb up on the counters. Besides, he also got into the fridge this morning and poured himself a bowl of ketchup, a plate of jelly, and a cup of whip cream. He is wasting food and hurting himself. It just seems like locking up the kitchen is the best way to handle both situations for now.

I do plan on teaching both my boys the correct way to cut with a knife, away from your body and fingers. Not that I will ever let them use a knife on their own, but should they ever come across one unsupervised again, I would like for them to know how to handle to it.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 3:31 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• My oldest cut the back of his head open on a glass cup (long story) when he was about 5 and needed 6 stitiches. Then he busted the front of his head open when he fell in the shower and got that stapled shut. Then his brother sliced open his finger on a broken window before we could get it covered. That time though, they just used that special glue they have for deep cuts that don't need stitches. Aren't boys fun?!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

Works for everyone I know that has kids. So does TEACHING them NOT to touch things they shouldn't. As a matter of fact, I never put anything up and away from my son, he just learned NOT to touch. It's not as hard as it seems and it is not silly or funny that parents can teach their kids appropriate behavior.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:57 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• stiches from surgery but not from injury. He did break an arm.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 7:07 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Ummm, let's see. DSS --after surgery he had staples. DS#1-Has had staples in his head, a broken wrist, nursemaid's elbow 3 times, and a busted (not broken) nose. DD-Staples in her head, and her foot. DS#2--stitches on his forehead.

DS #1 has a developmental coordination disorder that led to almost all his injuries. Ice led to the busted nose.

DD is very rough and managed to wrestle with the boys and slammed her head into the bricks of the fireplace leading her to need staples in her head. She also ran around with something stuck in her foot once. She autistic and doesn't register pain so she didn't even notice it until it actually ripped of that skin.

DS#2 tripped walking out a door and the door had one of those things that makes it go back in place, and it slammed back onto his forehead. It had a sharp edge at the bottom we didn't know about and it sliced his head pretty badly.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 8:31 PM on Aug. 12, 2009