How do I get the support of my husband to pursue extened breastfeeding?

Our son is only five months and exclusively breast fed. I want to let him self ween and am slowly trying to convince my husband that it is acceptable, but he is positive there is no benefit for a child after two. I have told him facts but he is still stand off-ish. I am hoping as our son gets older he will understand better.

What else can I do besides wait and hope for the best?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My husband was uncomfortable with the idea as well. The more he sees it though, I think it seems a lot more normal to him now than it used to. Just continue on and if it does become an issue later, you can always deal with it then. I know that wasn't exactly what you were looking for, but I understand where you are coming from and it has just kinda worked itself out. My daughter is 3 and nursing occasionally, my little guy is 17 months. :)
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 3:30 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• perhaps your husband thinks it will make his child a 'mamas boy' for bfing after 2
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• will your dh make you stop @ 2? if not , who cares what he thinks. I'm nursing my 28 month old. when we hit 1 year dh just mentioned that he was old enough for cows milk. I ignored him. it's NOT up to your DH how long you nurse, that is between you and your child! hang in there! You are doing what is best for your child.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 2:14 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I just fear that he will give us dirty looks or disapprove of our decision to self wean.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Its the same thing with weening babies off of bottles. They really dont need to be breatfeeding off of you after like 6 months i think it is. Why worry about it? You gotta get him off breast milk eventually so why wait?? Subsitute with formula. Its gotta happen. Your baby will get over it and get used to something else like a formula bottle or pacifier.
    MommyTurtle1985

Answer by MommyTurtle1985 at 2:39 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• MommyTurtle, your answer had nothing to do with my question, but thank you for your incorrect input. I however, seriously advise you read up on what you just said.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Substituting with formula never has to happen. I have nothing against FFing mothers, but my child will NEVER have it himself. Not when he can have the best. Why would someone ween their child from nursing just to introduce them to formula and a pacifier? That makes no sense whatsoever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• yeah my daughters 6 months and I am planning on breastfeeding her till she weans herself to. my husband is kinda the same way, lol but am stuborn, and I think you should just go with your gut feelings, and tell him it is what it is, and I only want the best for my kid. And dont worry to much about it till it comes time, to talk more about it.
    ashcrash

Answer by ashcrash at 2:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• and mommy turtle you no nothing about breastfeeding. so I have no idea why you even tried to awnser!!!
    ashcrash

Answer by ashcrash at 3:01 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• mommyturtle... ummmm... I don't even know what to say to you. You really need to do some research. I am really at a loss after that.... OP: I have the same issue with my DH. He is weird about nursing after a year of age. But as with everything else that we disagree upon that has no effect on him whatsoever, I will ignore him and do what I know is best for my child.
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 3:11 PM on Aug. 12, 2009